Not sure what to do, need advice...

If you found out you were doing something incorrectly in your job, that could cost you your job, what action would you take?
I found out I was processing things wrong in my job. The person who takes it a step farther and processes the items farther is working two positions and is behind in her work, so hasn't caught my mistakes, YET. Do I go to my boss, being proactive and say, "I know this is going to show up somewhere." Or do I just never do it again and hope I keep my job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• absolutely say something so that the person who works on the papers after you will have a heads up. Can you go back and correct your work? GOOD LUCK!! Better to be honest and upfront than play dumb. This way you can say that you realized the issue and went to your manager rather than doing nothing. I'm sure it will be fine!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It is far better to admit your mistake NOW than have it found out and then they know you knew it was an error or worse they think you didn't CARE!! At least at this point, if they have not discovered your error, it should be relatively easy to rectify. Maybe you could offer to do the corrections on your own time?? They may not allow it, but at least you can offer--that would show me my employee is trying to do the right thing and be conscientious with her work and that she actually CARES about the job she is doing.  

Maybe start out the conversation with "I THOUGHT I was doing it correctly, but I realize now I wasn't."  Honesty is always the best policy...

GOOD LUCK!!

SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Speak up now. Don't wait until the mistakes show up. They will appreciate knowing in advance and doing whatever needs to be done to correct the work.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• you'd be better off to be honest now, before more damage is done. it will be found out, and of course, might be traced back to you. when this happens, if it is found out you were aware of a mistake(s) do to your ignorance, and you didn't ask for help or how to fix it, you could lose your job anyway.
    its always better to be honest. and for God's sake, if you don't know how to do something, ask someone and get the job done right.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Absolutely speak up! Don't make excuses and have a plan for correcting your mistake.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Correct your mistake now! Honesty is always best
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If she's going to find out, then I would approach her first and let her know. I would offer to work over (for free if necessary) to fix them.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 6:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010