How do you select a family photographer?

I am a photographer in CNY and there are LOT'S of us here! I want to stand out and one thing I realize is: All these photographers are focusing on glamor and budoir and models and such! They are forgetting about the children and families! Those are the moments I love! And when I look at there work, I realize that they have no comfort zone with little kids and families, in fact, some photographers even pose a young child as though they were an adult! (which I find disgusting!) I have 3 kids, a huge Italian family full of kids, worked @ 4 different jobs as a child and family photographer, and now do it on my own!
Okay, so that was a bit of backstory....... here's my question:

1. What catches YOUR attention when you shop around for a photographer.

2. What is your idea, as a Mother, (the one who usually gets the photographer) for me to vamp up? I am looking to expand my clientel.

But I want people to come BACK to me, not once.

MommaPanks

Asked by MommaPanks at 8:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• i use family and friends. they tend to be the best. i look for photos that are taken in the childs environment. nothing i hate more than seeing studio shots with kids... you can't see their personality! my firsl have photos from our home... the lake... the park. places that they can just run free and the photographer can get those candid shots.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• EXACTLY!! That's how I market myself! It's funny that you nailed it right on the head!
    I travel where ever, I go to people's homes, lakes, parks, where ever they want. I tell them to have fun and PLAY with their kids. Forget about me! I'm just there to observe! Once in a while I'll stop them and get a group shot or something, kinda help them set up a bit, but mostly natural CANDID! No stuffy studio work!
    MommaPanks

Answer by MommaPanks at 9:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• So Gracefulsky...... What's your thought on me promoting that idea? Right now I Facebook, Craigslist, and word of mouth. I am a SAHM so @ the moment I don't want to go a route where $$ flies away, ya know.
    MommaPanks

Answer by MommaPanks at 9:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Are there local businesses that will allow you to put out business cards?? Our local bagel shop has a surface (top of trash can and dividing wall rail between order area and seating area) that is full of business cards. I've picked up a few from there including photographers. I then go look at their website (another definite need) to look at their photos. So far, I've not seen anything that has me NEEDING to get a family photo. But like you said, they tend to "glam" up the kids and use digital masks to change things unnaturally like brighten up eyes that aren't that bright etc. BUT the business card caught my eye and I went to visit the website.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• definitely put business cards in daycares/school settings... anywhere that moms would be with their kids. lol. coffee shops, etc. maybe see if a smaller business would like to hang up some of your photog... and have some sort of label with your info...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Thank you so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate it!
    MommaPanks

Comment by MommaPanks (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010