Does it make you feel uncomfortable when your O.B "checks you out"?

What does he do down there? I am curious because he will be checking things at my next apointment... thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends on what they are checking for. If it's for dilation, it's uncomfortable for me as in slight discomfort from the feeling, but I don't feel embarrassed or anything. They generally just feel for the cervix to see if it's open, or how much. It doesn't take them long.

Answer by missanc at 9:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Frequent vaginal exams are not necessary and are an opportunity to introduce germs. Dilation tells you nothing since some women go from 0-10 very fast while others walk around at 4 cm for weeks. There are a few thing they can learn such as is the baby head first and is the baby's head securely in the pelvis so prolapsed cord with not be a concern? Beyond that checking every 20-30 minutes is too much. Ask to be checked when you feel the urge to push to check for dilation or a cervical lip. Then push as you feel the urge, not to a count of ten until you turn red in the face. Don't allow every white coat in the ward to stick their hands up your privates.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• it makes me uncomfy every time. But i always think in the back of my mind that if i wasnt getting this done i may not know how the baby was doing. I find if u breathe through it and relax its goes alot better.
    kfootit

Answer by kfootit at 11:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2010