Anyone else's baby reject other foods after yogurt introduced?

I just introduced my 8 1/2-month old to the Yobaby organic yogurt, and now he seems to have gone on an oatmeal strike. Could it be he's saying, "Hey Mom, you gave me the sweet, rich stuff and now I'm not going back!" Or is this a phase? He's LOVED his oatmeal for months. He also rejects when I puree real food, but he'll eat the same mix from a jar (i.e. chicken and corn). Just give it time...is that the answer?

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies don't need oatmeal or other cereals or baby food. They can feed themselves regular food. Fork mash banana or sweet potato and put some in front of your baby. Fork shred beef or chicken.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son is 19 months and still goes through phases with his foods - recently it was blueberries, then grapes, now it's raisins. Keep offering other foods. At his age, he may be ready for something chunkier than puree - try some really small, soft, cut up table foods and see if that works.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You don't need to puree foods at that age. When you give him real food, let him see what you are eating (he'll want it too) and give small managable pieces for him to pick up and feed himself. My baby just turned 9 months and hasn't rejected anything except for undercooked broccoli. But she's had everything...3 bean chili, hummus, guacamole/avocado, peas, blueberries, kiwi, pears, asparagus, caulIflower, etc. Yesterday she ate bits of my thai stirfry and particularly gobbled up my broccoli and onions. I don't give her grains because they are too hard to digest with an immature gut. If you let him guide there will be less of an issue. If he doesn't eat much don't worry about it, food before 1 is for fun and experimentation. The mains source of nutrition is from breastmilk (or formula).

I don't give dairy. FYI yobaby has 12g of sugar per container if you give fruit. It has added sugar. 4 g = 1 ts
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have tried chucky foods. He did not like the shredded chicken but he did love the mashed banana (or he did rather). He gags on anything but puffs. But I guess that's a natural reaction and I should not be scared of it. Thanks for the info on the Yobaby, amileegirl, I had held off on so much of the unnatural sugars, and now I'm suckered into them! I really want Jake to be eating more "real" food, and now 'm afraid I've spoiled him with all this jar/bland food. Thanks for all the ideas/insight so far, everyone. I will try more new/real foods with him. FYI...how did you give her blueberries? With skin as a whole blueberry? Not a chocking hazard?
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You could try what we did with DD until we found out she has a cow's protein allergy: I would heat up some of the plain quick cook oatmeal, then mix some plain yogurt in it, with maybe some little bits of fresh fruit and brown sugar or cinnamon or agave nectar (good replacement for honey). She loved it, it was creamy and kind of sweet, but better for her than the yogurt/oatmeal stuff that comes pre made.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I quit giving my daughter purees around 8 months old. She ate modified what we did. And she has done great. Now at almost 13 months she is the best eater in her class at daycare. Maybe mix the baby cereal with the yogurt and baby will eat it. My daughter ate pasta, breads, soft steamed fruits and veggies little pieces of chicken at 8 months old no problems.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• OP at 7 1/2 months when we were just starting I gave my baby lightly cooked whole blueberries from my pancake, fresh pancake blueberries are warmed a minute until just soft but not exploded. I mushed them flat with my fingers -- she had blue face o match my fingers. lol. Then after (like two weeks) I gave her fresh mooshed lightly to flatten, then quartered or halved... a month later when her pincer grip was perfected I let het handle pea sized ones she can pick up. Babies gag because the reflex is more forward than ours...gagging isn't choking..it is how they keep food out of the windpipe. You might notice he isn't panikng or bothered by gags. He's not used to texture and it will take him time to get used to using his tongue to move food rather than suck it like he's used to. You may find that if he self feeds he'll gag a lot less. It's mainly hard round (or too large) things that are hazards.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010