How do you go about choosing a formula?

This is my 3rd child and I am going to breastfed, just like I did successfully with the other two :)

But around the age of 10 months or so I began to supplement and slowly wean my babies off the breast.

So, I am wondering how do you know what brand or type is the best, it all seems the same to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just a tip for you, if you wait 2 short months you don't have to give your baby formula or milk at all. YOu can wean a baby right to water. All you have to do is be sure they get their fat and protein from food.

But if I absolutely had to use formula I would likely use Nature's One or a goat milk base.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I didn't. I let her choose when to stop breastfeeding, and she weaned herself before age 2.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That is something that you should discuss with your baby's ped. Bcuz sometimes the baby is too sensitive for certain formulas.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 9:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I love the way if you choose to buy formula at any point you are less of a mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• At 10 months my doctor gave me the go ahead to supplement with whole milk since my dd was eating everything already. If I hadn't of done that I would have pumped until a year and not waste money on formula.
    Anonymous

• I would consult with your pediatrician when you feel it is time. Some kids react differently to different formulas. We have finally found one that works for my youngest after trying 4 other ones.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Really, the best formula is the one that your child will take, and not have issue with. I am all for nursing, but if this is what you decide to do, I'd start with asking the pedi for samples, so you can try a few and see which one works best for your LO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with waiting until 12 mo and weaning until water. You may not realize the World Health Organization recommendation is now that all children be breastfed at least 2 years. The AAP recommendation will be changing to 2 years.

There is no good formula. If I had to choose one I would use Nature's One.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Start with a milk based one. Store brands and name brands are equally as good. If baby ends up being sensitive to milk or something then you can always try a soy, or sensitive brand :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• "I love the way if you choose to buy formula at any point you are less of a mother. "

Actually, NO ONE has said the OP is less of a mother...just that it's better logic to continue nursing for those 2 short extra months so she doesn't even have to bother with it!

and with that being said - that's what I would do. Why even mess with formula when you can go straight to milk, or water? But - if you really don't want to wait to wean, the formula you should use is what baby will tolerate. Just pick up a basic kind, and see how baby does.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010