since when did parents stop teaching their children MANNERS!! ugh

I have a daycare and I battle with teaching manners to the little ones everyday.. They are not inforced at home so when they get here I have to start all over again! My son has the best manners a child could have and I have been complemented (sp?) several times for his great manners... I even correct the child infront of his mother on how he should ask for things, you would think she would get the hint!
BTW he is 3 and he is a very wild and MEAN little child, his mother has created a monster that she can't even handle.. It is very sad to see such a cute little guy be as mean as he is.. I could almost say he could be one of those children that grow up to be a Jeffery Domer kinda guy :( I am at a loss with him he is on time out most of the day when his brother is here, I am almost to the point to give up and tell her to find someone else to watch them.. his brother is nothing like him and is 7 yrs old...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm with the OP on this.
    Isn't the purpose of teaching manners so they can use them, not just in their own home, but out in public, as well? Especially, out in public.

I have the same problem with my youngest stepson, I have to constantly tell him to chew with his mouth closed, stop talking with food in his mouth, and not to stuff so much in his mouth. One excuse that 'mom' threw out was that she thought that he had a hard time breathing through his nose. Really? Because when he is here with us, he has no problem breathing at all, when he is chewing with his mouth closed. Oh, and I am one who will call out one of the kids behavior(in front of mom), if it is rude or disrespectful.

Maybe it's just too hard to deal with teaching kids manners, because you have to keep at it?? Maybe it's just easier to just let them be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think you need to chill out. Everyone has their struggles...
    It's not easy raising children, especially when there's more than 1!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It sounds to me like you're making a judgement call on the parents. Some parents don't feel comfortable repremanding their child in front of other children. You can't just assume that she doesn't teach her child manners just cause you don't see it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I love how "day care" moms think they're the saint of ALL MOMS just because they can handle and teach several kids at one time. You're no damn saint, but thanks for watching our kids for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think you have 2 choices-- #1 keep working with the child and hope that your 'teachings' sink in, or #2- tell the mom her child is an uncontrollable brat and you refuse to watch him.
    Maybe the child has underlying issues that you don't know about or maybe a condition you don't know about (like oppositional defiant disorder, ASD, ADHD.....)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My children and now my 21 mo grandson have excellent manners and they didn't need to be taught or enforced. Manners are defined as unenforced stantards of behavior ...

If you treat your child with manners and you behave with manners then your child behaves with manners. If you force manners then they will be fake and they won't be used unless the child is forced to do so. My grandson knows the sign for thank you and signs it to everyone (at the right time). It's unprompted and he thinks everyone knowns signs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Jeffrey Dahmer  was not a badly behaved child he was a sociopath they are well behaved in public and have the utmost manners. He knew when to behave as to not call attention to himself and what he was doing. Some parents work with their kids and it does not look like its panning out mine were that way but now at 17 and almost twenty they are a site to behold you would have never known that when the twenty year old was five.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You see, daycare providers are taking care of OTHER peoples' children....everyone knows it's easier taking care children, other than thier own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• No it is not easier taking care of other ppl's children. Are you a daycare provider? Do you know what it is like? I feel for these children is the fact that I know home life can not be to fun! Just the other day the mother told me that she went to the doc and the doc said she was depressed and she said no she wasn't she just wanted to kill everybody! REALLY? why would she tell me this? She teaches the kids nothing! I thought the little guy how to walk, I am potty training him ( she even said she probably tramatized him b/c she screams at him to go on the toilet) I thought her 7 yr old how to ride a bike....
    the poster that said
    I think you need to chill out. Everyone has their struggles...

Really? Because you have more than 1 child you can skip teaching your child important things?

btw never said i was a saint.. lol but thanks! just b/c i care
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think you're pretty fucking rude to say that this kid is gonna grow up to be Jeffrey Dahmer. Who's a fucking hypocrit? If I were that kid's mom and I found out you said shit like that about my kid you would have my foot up your ass and one less client to pay your damn ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010