Help ease pain in penis for 15 months old baby

My son has a high fever that won't go away for 2 days. I finally took him to ER yesterday morning, the doctor perform blood test, urine test and it came back that my son has UTI. While in there the nurse try to clean the head of my son penis by pulling the foreskin back to clean inside now his penis is hurting him. Everytime I attempt to change his diaper he is sreaming and crying or he would close his legs. Is there anything I can do to help him ease the pain for him or help him feel comfortable. And Is it normal to pull the foreskin back at this early age??? I did ask her why she need to do it, she told me she need to clean the inside and check to see if they got infected. I though you can see if it infected or not by looking at it, it not red or anything like that. And how long should it go away?? Thanks for all.

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 9:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The pain is from pulling the foreskin back. It is most likely prematurely pulling it away from the glands. I would call and talk to a different nurse as I have never heard that you should ever pull it back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• hmmm... wouldn't have that problem with a circumcision.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How about letting him soak in the bathtub for a little bit. Poor kid. Hope he feels better soon.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• What she did was WRONG. You should never retract the foreskin and there is no reason at all to visualize the entire head of the penis. I'm a ped's nurse and when cathing a intact male the tip of the foreskin is pulled back gently but NOT retracted only to visualize the hole.
    I would join the Raising Intact Boys group on here they would have some helpful info on how to care for his penis.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Never ever ever let someone pull back the foreskin on your child's penis. HE is the only one who should. I will second the RIB group recommendation, and there is a ton of info online if you look it up. My son is intact, but so is my husband, so he knew all the ins and outs from the beginning. We've had both doctors and nurses try to retract the foreskin and stopped it right away. Poor baby--I hope he feels better.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I actually had to yell at a doctor yesterday for trying to retract my 2 mo. olds foreskin. It's not supposed to be done, and the fact that she pulled it down while he had an infection just opens up the whole problem of him now possibly getting an infection underthere. I'm so sorry this happened just leave it alone and try to reassure him, I might also give him some sort of painkiller if it looks like it's hurting him a lot.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Oh I'm so sorry that happened! That nurse should NOT have pulled the foreskin back! That is what is causing the problem. Let him soak in the tub, and put some ointment, like polysporin or neosporin on it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Thanks all for the advice. It is a worse ER trip I have never experience. The nurse was rude and didn't seem to care much about the patient. My son was having a high fever 105 when we get him in the ER, he won't stop crying I guess he was in pain and uncomfortable, since they have to draw blood, push him forskin on his penis that why everytime he saw someone came in the room he start screaming. The nurse came in to tell me to stop my son from crying , I ask her if you are in pain would you cry??? She just gave me a look and told me that my son hasn't stop crying since we got in. Should I write a complain to the hospital or just forget it???

He now seem better but the penis look red, I try not to touch it when I wipe off to change his diaper.
    hungluvphuong

Comment by hungluvphuong (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would write a complaint to the hospital. ER is for people who have pain, they should expect crying, especially from a baby! Wow! A patient should never be treated that way. So sorry!!
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 3:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010