Can race, ethnicity be a challenge to gay acceptance?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/23/ia.gay.acceptance/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Thoughts?

Asked by older at 10:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I imagine that it can be - absolutely. Not only that - I'm sure location can make it more of a challenge as well. One town over from mine, they won't allow a theater because the movies might corrupt their Christian children. Imagine being gay and trying for acceptance there....

(and this is off topic, but I'm very interested to see how today goes now that the anon button is gone. *snickers*)
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• And off topic, but CMs change are so confusing no one will need the anon button. People will be too confused to argue.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• older

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• There are just too many colors, it's too busy.

It's said that there is so much bigotry in the world.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• *sad
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree Lovin...too much CRAP on here now and nothing we need (umm the editing stuff!). And I realize I could take the little course or whatever but I really dont WANT too LOL.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think that maybe minorities are "quieter" for a few reasons. A lot of my Latino GLBT friends come from strongly Catholic families, for example, & for them it's harder to be open. These are people who already have to deal with prejudice & discrimination for their race & may be reluctant to add another reason for people to discriminate, or worry that if they come out, they'll lose the community that understands their struggles, at least racewise. The more you have to lose, the harder it is to step forward.
    I think that opinions are changing more slowly among minorities because it's easier to identify with people that look like you, that you have things in common with. It may be easier for Blacks to accept GLBT issues, from other Blacks, for example. I know my sister talks about the mainstream orgs really leaving anyone that is not white, protestant and middle class out--there is not enough for people who don't fit those molds
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• LOL I didn't even realize I didn't specify - the family that was friends of my parents was Mexican (also Catholic). They weren't all accepting, but the majority of the family was. Another family might not have been so accepting, but if they'd been white it wouldn't have been "more likely".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My thoughts on this is that it absolutely can be a factor, because some ethnicities (sp?) do not accept it whatsoever, and it is punishable in severe ways in their home countries. So, I can see that can be challenging.

(And I don't think I like this so well, not what I though it was gonna be....)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010