Do you think it's wrong to let kids watch horror movies?

I saw a post to a question from last night that said someone should have cps called on them because she let her kid watch a horror movie and Family Guy. Do you agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is so completely ridiculous. I know plenty of little kids who watch horror movies and Family Guy. I watched a lot of horror movies as a child but I knew they weren't real. My son is 4, he's seen Family Guy a few times, and he tells me that Stewie is a bad baby because he wants to kill his mommy.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Not in the least bit. My son watched them and so did I. Both of us were around 2 or 3 when we started. Neither of us were hyper, violent, serial killer, insane, sex crazed people. So, I don't get the issue. We were never the type to be scared and have nightmares because we were smart and mature and easily understood that it was fake. We both had great imaginations and loved playing in dress-up/halloween costumes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I used to watch horror movies when I was a child and I would never get scared of them. My cousin who is now 12 has watched them since a preschooler and loves them and has never had a nightmare over them. Now with my son I do not let him watch them because he does get scared. So like other posters have said I really think it depends on the child.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• As long as it is a good horror movie and the kid is mature enough, I see no problem.

But if it is a bad remake starring a former TV "it girl" whose career has tanked, a tribunal should be held and the strictest punishment should be administered!
    CarolBeazeman

Answer by CarolBeazeman at 11:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• not a cps offense.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• No, it's not wrong.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. My DD loves them and has no nightmares...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i think it depends on the kid, really. i mean... mom should know kid enough to know what could potentially scare the kid. my girls don't watch them, only because i'm scared to watch them. lol! if i do have something on, they will let me know if it gets to be too much, and i turn it off immediately.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. But, definitely not something to call CPS over.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with a kid watching a horror movie. There are parts you obviously want to fast forward or skip over that may be too graphic or contain sex scenes.
    I started watching horror movies at 2 years old with my uncle (he was 17 at the time and would baby sit). It didn't make me a serial killer or psycho. It didn't make me violent. I'm perfectly normal.
    The only time it had any effect on me was with Return of the living dead. (I wouldn't go near anything that had chemicals in it, saved my parents a lot of fears of me drinking Drano or some other chemicals. lol.)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2010