Is anyone else uncomfortable with the idea of breast feeding?

I don't want any comments from women who just want to bash me telling me that I must breast feed b/c it's best for the baby and I would be risking my babies health not to breastfeed.. etc. I know all that and I've read all of the literature and researched it.

I want to hear from any other women who are just uncomfortable with the idea and especially from anyone who found a way to get past that and become comfortable with it.

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wasn't just uncomfortable, but being on depression and pain meds it was not going to happen. I had a teen pregnancy with my first (I gave birth a month before I turned 20) and it was mortifying the way I was confronted my strangers, signed up to be in a class w/ 14 yr olds and their moms while they bashed men when my ds sat by my side. Yet it did not compare to the scandel of me using a bottle on my baby. The formula placement has even been banned from some hospitals. A real quick way that kept strangers quiet is say "breastfeeding is great, but I dont think kodine and prozac are good for infants"

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I too was not comfortable with it. Never tried it and didn't want to. Same with my sister.

• I have always been comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding, but when my first son was born I was very uncomforable with everyone telling me how to do it. I never even felt that on display during a pap smear. I had nurses grabbing and squeezing my breasts and my mom giving me tips that only work for her because she has inverted nipples, and her friend telling me to do the opposite. It was really frustrating. I finally had to tell everyone to just go away. Once I was alone with my baby it was the soft, tender and close moment it's suppose to be. So as a heads up, you may want to tell unnecessary people to take a hike for a bit and let the nurses know that you will call them if you need help. Since you are already a bit uncomfortable with it you don't need anything adding to that situation. Best wishes!

• I wasn't comfortable with the idea but I didn't have anyone to encourage me. The one regret I have is that I didn't just do it, try it. I think I missed a very special experience because I didn't try. If I had the chance now, that's what I would do and then have a le leche league contact at least for support. I could always decide not to immediately or anywhere down the road. Just my story because I can relate to how you are feeling and what happened afterward. So, I would never say, don't try it.

Answer by manna1qd at 11:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I will have my first child in September and I already know that I am not going to be comfortable breastfeeding in public. That's the only thing I can think of. Oh yeah, its not fair to ask a question and tell people what to say. lol.

Answer by Queentdi at 12:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Do you feel uncomfortable because society promotes breast feeding, however, makes it a private matter and does not offer the common areas to allow for it? I think that it is the most natural way of feeding and I frown on society in general for making us women feel like it is a taboo or indecent exposure to do it in public places. Are you sure that society is not making you uncomfortable?

I know that I question myself with the dilemma of my breasts always being used sexually and now the transition to being used for nutrition is a mentally challinging one.

Whatever you decide and for whatever reason, it is your decision and don't let anyone thnk that you care for your child any less.

Answer by girlneffy at 12:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was not comfortable with the idea, the other women in my life (mom, aunts, and sisters) never did it so I didn't have much of a support system either.

But.....I did my research and knew that if I denied my child that what was best for her (or didn't at least gave it a try), that I would be disappointed in myself.

Even after several lactose specialist, nipple shields (for 4 months), and thrush. I was able to exclusively breast feed for 9 months. It was one of the most selfless and rewarding experiences I have ever had.

Good Luck Dear!

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was uncomfortable with the idea of breastfeeding briefly. My first breastfed the first couple of weeks and I would botlefeed too. It worked out and eventually she had the bottle altogether. My second and third I breastfed less than my first.

Answer by deliela at 6:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was uncomfortable with the idea because I thought it was kind of weird and it made me uncomfortable when I saw it in public. Granted, this was when I was younger and before I became pregnant. My mother never breastfed, but my sister did with my niece. When my dh and I found out we were having a baby, I got my butt in gear and did the research as to why I should breastfeed. Knowledge was power for me. I still wasn't totally comfortable with the idea, but knowing how beneficial it was gave me the determination to try to breastfeed. I took a breastfeeding class and met with two awesome lactation consultants while I was in the hospital and they gave me the encouragement and confidence to give it a try. My daughter is 5 days old and we just got the hang of it today, and I love it. There is a sense of pride and satisfaction in knowing that I am giving her the best I possibly can.

Answer by Danielle720 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i personally tried breastfeeding with all my girls ,and although i wasnt uncomfortable i only b/f two out of the four for a year the other two well one three months and the other not even a full month.I would like to say they are all pretty healthy either way.I feel if you feel uncomfortable then you should bottlefeed i mean this is your child and your time together and you want it to be special ,feeding time for baby is bonding time with mommy so you need to feel 100%comfortable while doing so.Never let anyone make you feel bad for the choices you make that suit you and your baby.good luck to you

Answer by nikki7376 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2008