Why the name change from MMS to BOE?

What was the point of changing the name from MMS to Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement (BOE)?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Convenient - change the name and the vast majority who only skim headlines will never see the term "MMS" pop up in relation to the oil spill ever again. They'll forget to blame the government and stick with BP. Lets just hope whoever runs the BOE spends more time doing their job and less time firing anyone who knows what they're doing because they were employed during the previous administration (like the former idjit in charge of the MMS).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• wow, I really am having trouble dealing with this set up.

They usually have name changes because the association with the former name is poor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Perhaps someone else is in charge? I honestly have no idea I took a shot in the dark there. lol and am probably way off.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I wanna know how you got to be a "senior" so fast XX? This is just craziness..I do not care for this new set up at all :( omg I just realized the spell check and stuff is gone :( ......ok...as for the OP, I dont know either. Do you have a link?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Because the MMS wasn't managing, because there are new people in charge, they are trying to separate the people who oversee from the people who inspect and the ones who dole out the permits? And, it can add how many more people to the jobs created list...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The same reason the Gulf oil spill is now "The BP caused disaster" and PBO's golfing junkets are now "The president's mind clearing trips" as announced by our own Director of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, today. Change the name and change the game. They are playing semantics with the public. It sounds better to say "the president is clearing his head" vs "the president is playing golf". One seems contemplative while the other seems disinterested. They are playing the PC game and hoping we don't have enough brain cells left to understand that "a rose by any other name is still a rose". Just remember how to determine if something is a duck.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• And, it can add how many more people to the jobs created list...

Oh my gosh, that didn't even occur to me. So would these be jobs created, or saved?
    -------
    Well, both, of course! You got the ones who still have a job (saved) and then there are all the new ones, because there is no way they will just not add more levels of bureaucracy to this (created).
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with NP and Quinn.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Ahhhh.....QUINN.....you beat me to it!! LOL!! :o)

ACORN changed their name to Community Organizers International ("COI"), or as Quinn dubbed "Conflict of Interest!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Is this sort of like how Acorn is / has changed their name?
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2010