Why do people " hate " large families ?

Why do people " hate " large families....why do they make comments like " that disgust me " or " are they crazy " ?
Yes i know there are large families on welfare , just as there are families with one or two children on welfare.....some times families need help. Why is it not ok for a large familiy to get help if they need it ( if the have a job loss or medical crisis ) but its ok for a small family , when neither family probably wanted to get help or planned on needing it ??
The large families iv met over the years have nice , well behaved children who are very caring and love their families....and in this day and age where kids are being raised by day cares , babysitters and their video games , this is nice to see. People are so into material things now a days , in " keeping up with the Jones " , its nice to see these families.
So why so much hate towards them......is it a jeolousy thing ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Misinformed people.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Absolutely no jealousy...overpopulation concerns. No not really. I really am not sure why I have a problem with it but I am always nice about it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't "HATE" big families. I think there are too many "HATE" words used at CM.
    I do feel sorry for the kids in BIG families because their only life is taking care of the smaller kids in the family. Otherwise....what ever they want t do is none of my business.
    And ....please,people,try not to use the word "HATE" so often,ok?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My issues with large family is due to personal experience. I am one of 5 children. I HATED it. But then again there is 21 years difference between the oldest and youngest. I also could never handle having that many children. I'm not jealous but I couldn't do it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• To me it really doesn't matter what the size of the family is as long as all the children are cared for properly. I know several large families with the best behaved kids I have ever met. But there are also those out there like my step-sister who is 23 has 5 kids who are currently in foster care because she had those children and now doesn't want to take care of them, but I know that isn't the ones you are talking about. I think people should mind their own business about it unless it affects them personally.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I like to watch them---in public or on tv but I don't think I could be so patient.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I dont think you should say you feel sorry for kids in large families because ever familiy is different and just because someone has 5 or 10 kids doesnt mean they dont love each of them , take good care of them , and spend time with them. I know many kids from familys with 2 children who i feel sorry for cause there parents work non stop and leave them by them selves. parents who let their kids run around their neighborhood all day living in other peoples houses cause their parents dont have time for them.
    hammondx9

Answer by hammondx9 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I just wonder how needs can be fully met. What can you do for 6 that you can not do for 2? I abhor over consumption, of any kind.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Don't know. I'm about to have my 5th child in a few weeks and I get looks all the time in public. Five doesn't even feel like a big number but most people seem to think anything over 2 is a lot. We're not on any PA and never have been. My kids are well behaved in public (at home is another matter) and I expect a lot from them. I'm not their slave or maid. They clean up after themselves and look out for each other. I would expect that even if there was just 2 of them.
    My mom was one of 11 and I love having so many aunts, uncles and cousins.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My immediate family isn't large. It's just my brother and I. Now, my mom comes from a family of 12, and one of her brothers has 11 kids. If we were to put my Mom's whole family together(including spouses), we are well over 100. We just had 4 new babies and one set of twins added. Sometimes it's hard to keep up--LOL
    We have to rent the memorial building in town for family Christmas.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 11:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2010