What can cause high blood glucose levels?

What else besides diabetes would cause high blood glucose levels in a toddler?

They do not eat candy or sweets (allergic to more than half of them anyway). They do not eat a lot of carbs. Yet still have high blood glucose (200+).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Diabetes is the only thing I can think of, sorry.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The only thing I can think of is Diabetes. Honestly, I would contact my pediatrician.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am the OP, accidentaly hit anon. Anywho, he is in the middle of testing and what not. They believe he is in the early stages of diabetes, but I was just wondering if it could be anything else.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Why was it tested???
    If she happens to be on any steroids it will cause the blood sugar to sky rocket...
    Or if she happen to be getting IV fluids if she was tested in the hospital it could make it go too high.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's tested because he has been showing signs of diabetes (like thirst and urination etc). There is family history of diabetes. He has had acetone in his urine before after it being 288. He isn't on any steroids of IV fluids.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Illness, lack of sleep, stress will all raise blood sugar levels, but not that high. Sorry, it's probably diabetes. I know a few children that have Type 1 diabetes and are able to manage it quite well and lead fairly normal lives. My mom became a Type 1 diabetic when she was 11 and she will be 65 this year. It'll be okay if he is diabetic (well, not okay but better than some diagnoses), but it will require good supervision of his diet and medications by you and every other person that is active in his life.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Consult your ped. There are alot of factors to take into account, when are you testing, what did they eat, you say not alot of carbs, but just fruit will spike your bloodsugar if not eaten with protien and fat. Type one diabeites is a serious concern, and if your checking your toddlers bs levels then consult your ped. A simple blood tests can detect the antibodies that cause type one. IF he is urinating more then normal and asking for alot of water, or seems to have weight loss or flu like symptoms, skip the ped and go straigh to the ER imforming them that you think he may be diabetic.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Type 1 diabetes isn't caused by diet, so it could be that no matter what he eats. I dated a guy in highschool who had Type 1 and he was able to manage it well and knew what to eat when, it wasn't that big of a deal to him because he had grown up with it.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• OP here, we have taken out fruit per doctors orders. We see an endocrinologist and we just got the orders today to get the antibody test done. This is the 2nd time i heard about it. The first was yesterday. I didn't know they had something like. They have checked his A1c and are checking it for the 2rd time in 2 months. We have gone to the ER several times in regards to this. One time he had acetone in his urine and they sent us home and said they found nothing. Our pedi was pissed! So were we! Anyway, I guess I am just trying to see if there is anything else that could cause this besides diabetes. But it's looking like no..........................
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010