Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughters last name!

When my oldest daughter was born, I had given her my last name (which still was mymaiden name,) and I never had the real father sign her certificate (smartest move on my part, because he hasn't seen her since she was born, and he is a DBD)anyways...I met a wonderful man after my daughter turned one. We were married a few years later and then I had my second child. My husband wants to give my oldest daughter his last name and become her legal father, before she enters school! Does anyone know how to go about this process??And is this a harder than I think?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • Ive personally never done it! But Im thinkin about it too with my daughter who also has my maiden name ;)

    Answer by Sherrae at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Paternity has to be established. Her bio father will have to sign away his rights and your husband will have to adopt her.

    Answer by August07Mom at 11:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • He would have to adopt your child. It could be expensive and not a good idea for many reasons. Married he has the same rights as you. If you and your husband break up he would have same rights as bio dad. He could get custody of your child.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Well the bio father doesn't need a paternity if he never signed the birth certificate (he doesn't even count).

    Answer by 2LILLDYBUGS at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • You would have to go through the adoption process. Seeing as how the bio dad hasn't been in her life EVER, and he's not even on the birth cert, it will probably be an easy road to go down.

    You can also petition to legally change her last name, which is an easier process in the mean time, and on her school records, you just put your husband down as her father...he may not biologically be, but he IS her daddy, and it's not illegal to do so.

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • I worked with a girl who looked into adopting her step daughters. Their mother had signed away her rights. It was going to cost $200 per child to have it done through the courts.

    Answer by JamieLK at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • He will need to adopt her. Bio dad will need to sign away his rights, or you may be able to file for abandonment and get his rights revoked if he has never had any contact with her. If this is what you and DH want I think it is a great idea. My sister and her DH did this when they got married and it was a really positive thing for my niece. Same thing with a good friend of mine and her son.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • I dont know the answer to your question but i just wanted to say thats awesome that he wants to do that :)

    Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • The only reason her bio dad would be a part is if he actively set out to prove paternity. Since he's not on the birth certificate, he doesn't have a say. If you look up your state government website, it'll have lots of links on how to change children's names and specifically in your situation. Good luck! That's awesome that he wants to officially maker her his own. : )

    Answer by mickstinator at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.