I have horrible children..any ideas for fun things to do with them?

I try to take them out for ice cream and they are hitting each other in the back seat so we go home without the treat. They are using the computer and they get out of their seat walk across the living room and just randomly hit the other one. They refuse to play with toys and my younger one refuses to play outside and the older one wont' play outside unless the other goes with her. So everyday I just sit here and pull my hair out. Girls ages 6 and 7.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 11:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like your girls are board. I would sign them up for a swimming lesson or something that will keep them busy. Go for walks, do art and crafts with them. Play outside with them by twin boys love to have water balloon fights and play on their slip n slide. I notice when were in doors all day my 6 year old twins will start fighting. I try to plan play dates for them, I enjoy talking to another mom. I take my boys to the park for picnics or to the beach. Last week while taking my boys to the beach they were having a fit that they wanted to stay home and play on their x-box. I made them go to the beach and heard whining all the way to the beach once there my boys had a lovely time. It's difficult to get motivated but once were out my boys have a blast!! Have a good sumemr!!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• a bunch of activities in a hat and they get to take turns as to what they do. they don't have to be doing the same thing at a time.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Learn some new parenting skills.

Try the book Sibling Rivelry.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• wow, they need serious structure. What forms of discipline do you use?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have 5 kids. When they fight like that (AND OMG they do!) I make them do a chore. together. If they can't complete the chore without fighting, they get to try again on another chore, and another and another until they get it right. No fighting allowed.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Get a pool, sounds like to me they need to burn some energy off...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have a routine, I am very firm when I make a decision. When I say no I mean no. We spank, we use time outs, we also have a gem system. They earn gems for good behavior and have them taken away for bad behavior, turn them in for fun stuff like the water park. We have therapists come into our house 12 hours a week starting next week. My six year old is being evaluated for bipolar disorder.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My boys love the splash park, we go several times a week (it's free). We also try to go to the pool once in a while too. To be honest, when my kids act like that - hitting, fighting, arguing - they lose privileges. If they can't get along while using the computer they don't get to use it, plus in order to have computer time they have to spend an equal amount of time playing outside.

Also are there any day camps you can enroll them in? Or youth groups or mom and me groups? I know here there is an organisation that puts together activities and tours of local sites (fire hall, police station). Maybe if they had other kids around they wouldn't fight each other so much. Even just playdates with their friends. I bet other moms are feeling the same way, maybe you could set up a rotating playdate system for a free afternoon once in a while. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I highly recommend the book "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Kevin Leman. It's done wonders for my parenting and my kids. It's a quick read, and he's serious. If you change yourself, they will change quickly. Give it a read and see what you think.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010