Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I need ideas on who to put down as references. I have been a SAHM for the past 5 years so I have no recent work experience. I have been in school during that time. However the place where I am applying to wants 3 professional references. Who should I put?

FTR - I am applying to a local community college to see if they will let me teach an introduction course or 2 even though I will only have my bachelor's.

Answer Question

Asked by purpleducky at 11:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 21 (11,829 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You can ask your professors if you can use them as references. You can ask friends, if you've babysat for them, you can put down church members or church groups, school groups, etc.

    Answer by m-avi at 11:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Anybody you have had a professional relationship with, such as professors, prior employers (they dont need to be recent), or a family friend that can attest to your character.

    Answer by serioussifL at 12:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Yes, I agree, you can use professors, especially professors in your chosen field. See if you can contact your last boss and ask their permission. You can also use former co-workers as well if you've kept in touch with them.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Hopefully, there are a couple of professors you have a great relationship with, who will be happy to be your reference. Perhaps you have been doing some volunteer work, and there is some you help out, or worked with, who will be another reference.


    Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.