What do you do when your teenager wants to meet up with a boy for the first time?

My daughter 15 1/2 was asked to hang up with a boy that's 17. She hasn't ever hung up with friends other than at school. I haven't met this boy only heard he's funny, and a great person. So what would you do?

Dannille33

Asked by Dannille33 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think a short meeting, either where you are at your house, at the mall, restaurant, bookstore, so that you can chat a bit, is ideal. My DD had her new bf over for an afternoon of swimming at our house.(I'd met him at the bookstore a couple weeks before) I got a chance to ask him a few questions and see how he interacts with my daughter. I do not allow them upstairs where bedrooms are, and I try to have a few people over at the same time (my son's friends-he's 12) so there's not too much "privacy" if you will. I pretty much figure, like most/all boys his age, he'd like to get her alone and make out and such (thank goodness I know she's got boundaries-at this point, anyway) but at 16, I won't exactly facilitate that. She knows what behavior is acceptable at this point because we've talked about it all.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Ask him over to your house.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with the other moms. We have a rule here, I must meet the boy first. If they want to just hang out and watch movies or whatever your house is as good as any!! I have a 17 yo dd and when she started dating we set some ground rules and I let her know what behavior was expected of her and the boy. That way there is no question. And if he drives, decide how you feel about that.
    Give some space but pop in every once in a while. She may be nervous and welcome some boundaries, and I always tell my girls, use me for any excuse you need. "my mom won't let me" or whatever. I can take it!! But if this is the first step for her, be open and honest with her and tell her how you feel. If you are fair with her she will be fair with you.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The first meetup should be at your house. I wouldn't let my kid go unless I had met the boy first.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• WEll First , I ask my daughters where do you know this boy from? School, church group or swim team? I have to meet the child and his parents first , then we use the progression stages . First we all have a lunch or dinner together then on the second meet up they can go to dinner or a show together.
    moeself

Answer by moeself at 11:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i so agree with the trying to meet him and get to know him. then if they are getting serious about it i would want to meet his parents and see what they are like. i didnt get to have boys over at that age but i will let my DD if she is almost 16. and just invite him over for dinner one night and then let them watch a show together in the living room (with a little supervision lol)
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with wallmom1 - will vote you up!!! lmbo!!!
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 12:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I dont have a teen, but I agree with everyone else about him meeting at your house, so nothing happens
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i personally ,woud have to really pray about that one.if your gut feelings are bad,then go with them.if you feel calm and peaceful about it,then maybe you should go with that feeling
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with everyone else - even for my boys I have the same rule - I get to meet the girl first and her parents.
    I'm lucky we live in a very small town so we pretty much already know everyone, but I still require to have the girl at our home and then a visit with the parents.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010