Any ideas on how to get grout to look white again?

I moved into an apartment and the whole living room/kitchen area is ceramic tile and the grout is brownish looking with off-white tile. Any ideas to get it clean?

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 11:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Are you sure the grout is supposed to be lighter in color? I would find that out first before going to all the trouble of trying to scrub it clean. If it is supposed to be lighter, then you may be able to get it clean with a paste of baking soda & white vinegar. You could even use lemon juice, as it has bleaching properties, too. One of the best things I've found for cleaning dirty grout is a steam mop, so if you have one of those or can rent one, I'd try that first.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• hydrogen peroxide
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You can try a baking soda/salt paste, then rinseit with vinegar or water. If that doesn't work your best bet is to find a tile store and ask if they can either get you an acid cleaner for the grout or a grout colorant kit to pretty much cover the stains with a fresher color. Then you want to seal the grout after the stains are gone/covered so it doesn't stain again. Bleach is not likely to do much more than yellow the grout, just FYI.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have used bleach on grout before. Otherwise, you can cover over the top with more grout, if nothing else works.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes it is supposed to be white. There are some areas that are still white where I guess the previous renters had furniture. Thanks for all the advice!
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010