Bipolar Husband

Does anyone have any advice on coping with a husband who has bipolar disorder and is going through a deep depression and is asking for a divorce, as in he wants us to lie about being seperated a year and just sign a quicky divorce. However he wants us to stay together and rebuild our relationship. I need some advice on how to help him and keep my own sanity. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Being bipolar myself I can say that the mood swings are very confusing. Especially to the one that is having them. He needs to go see a doctor and be put on meds to control his moods. If he is currently on meds he needs to go have his levels checked because they might need to adjust them. Besides that the only thing you can do is reassure him of your feelings for him. If this is something he hasn't mentioned until now then it isn't something he really wants. Back before I wasn't on meds and couldn't control my moods I said and done a lot of things that hurt the ones closest to me without even meaning to, so I tell you this from personal experience.
    bustii

Answer by bustii at 12:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My husband was bipolardisorder (divorced) and I live with my 22 year old bipolar son. He was diagnosed when he was 11. My advice is to leave your husband and start a new life. Hope if you had children with him that they don't have bipolar disorder. Watch for the signs and get treatment if you children have unusual ways.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm bipolar as well and have to agree bustii, its just as hard for those with the bipolar as their loved ones who have to live it on a dialy basis. I actually went through the above, and left my husband and children in a manic phase, then spiraled and attempted suicide 3 times. It was a nightmare with my family. My husband is still there for me through everything although our relationship is very rocky. I've done much better since my meds have been adjusted and I'm in therapy every other week to deal with things before they get out of control. All you can do is be there and continue to assure him you love him. I agree I don't think this is what he really wants - its the depression. Have you asked him why he wants divorced? Why is he unhappy? I might try to get some insight from him on where this is coming from if you haven't.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010