Potty training a 3 yr old

My daughter will be 3 soon and she still isnt potty trained. Anytime I ask if she wants to go potty she freaks out and if I try to place her on it she fights like hell to get away from it. I'm tried the whole day potty training thing but it didnt work, she just hid somewhere and peed. Any advice? I'm getting crotized from all my family for her not being potty trained yet but I've tried and she just doesnt want to use the potty yet. She turns 3 in November.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• #1 RELAX
    #2 Give your daughter COMPLETE control.
    #3 Tell everyone that's on your back about it to LEAVE you alone.

Fact - the actual age for potty training is 2-4, longer if you have boys. Fact - pushing a child who is not ready or does not want to will get you NO WHERE.

With that being said, my 1st son took right to the potty at 2 1/2. My second? Is almost 4 1/2 and he's been going pee for about 3 weeks now. We're still fighting the poop. Our problem is different though. He has a sensory disorder and just would not wear underwear or sit on a potty. We just kept with the positive, kept asking - when he said no, it wasnt' a big deal. We read books and showed him how easy it was, etc... He eventually decided on his own to get over his fear and he did it. Pressure will not make it happen any faster....

Give her time, take the pressure off of her and I promise, she won't be wearing diapers on her wedding nigh
    jas_momof2

Answer by jas_momof2 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My dd turned 3 in may and i've tried everything...I just think she's not interested yet....I'm tired of it too!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my DS was over 3 before he was finally potty trained... stubborn brat :P
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Im in the same boat except my DD is 3. She starts school on Monday and I told the teacher that im having a horrid time getting this down.She told me that it was OK to feel stressed and to just send my daughter in.She said some children need to see other kids doing it.and since its not REAL pre school most some of the other children are not trained.(NO I dont plan on the teacher potty training my child lol)EVERY CHILD is different.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Make it into a game, sing a song that you'll only sing when she's sitting & sit w/ her. When she does use it make the biggest deal ever out of it & reward her w/ something special. Need votes to advance!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am having the same problem; my daughter just turned 3. Her doctor told me to stop talking about it, not to mention it at all. If she wets her panties I am to tell her to put them in the dirty clothes and put some clean ones on her. It is not working. haha! Not working at all. So I understand where you are coming from.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I didn't get my son potty trained until he was past 3. Here's what we did. We tried once a day to get him to sit and pee. If he balked, we gave up and tried again the next day (we tried the same time every day, just before bath). Eventually he gave up fighting and sat. Once he peed fairly frequently, we moved to potty training. for 2 days, we played outside with a potty handy and he wore just a long t-shirt. Every 45 minutes or so he tried. If he peed, great. If not, we tried again every 10 minutes until he either peed (and we celebrated) or he had an accident (and we just moved on). After 2 days, we moved on to underwear. Going naked seemed to slow him down from peeing randomly and made it easier to just sit. We also gave a couple of M&Ms when he was successful. The first few times he got them just for trying. we're still working on pooping... but we use rewards (little cars) for success there. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Nyx7. We tried the whole game thing. We did stickers ona chart, gummie bears when she goes and even the potty dance but she still wont budge
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would try the books and maybe one of those videos maybe if she can see someone using the potty she will be less afraid? I had to do that for my son to make it happen. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am in the same boat, my DS is 3 and not potty trained. We had him all set up for school this fall and now there are no spots left :( They asked me if he was completely trained and of course I said no. He will pee in the potty that isnt a problem. He will go all day with big boy undies on and never once have an accident (just so long as he isnt overly distracted by his toys or whatever activity we are doing, i still have to remind him to pay attention to when he needs to go) When it comes to pooing it is a totally different story. He wont do it at ALL!!!! He did once in his little potty but then would never do it again! I am at my wits end here!!!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010