how do i get my 5 year old to stay in bed after we put him to bed for the night?

he gets up for a snack or something to drink or (my personal fave) "i gotta tell you something" and never has anything to tell me.

coltonsmom329

Asked by coltonsmom329 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• duck tape lol! Need votes to move on!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds like my son, lol. He always has 'something to tell me'. He's never told me anything yet.

What worked for him was a reward chart. There are websites where you can design your own.....for free. Then explain to him that for everynight he stays in his bed, he gets a smiley on his chart. If he gets out of bed, he gets a frowny face. After so many smiley faces he can earn a reward (of your choosing). My son caught on super fast to this game, lol. His reward would be a trip to Dollar Tree for any one item of his choosing.....when he got 20 smileys (didn't have to be in a row, just 20).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• What works for my son is we put three dimes or quarters (depending on the night) on his dresser. If he gets up or we have to go in his room to tell him to calm down then we take away a coin. Whatever coins are left in the morning go in a special money bag and at the end of the week he gets to go pick out something small. Right now, he is really into collecting stickers and they are $1 a pack at Wal-Mart.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010