I have a long drive planned with three kids this weekend. What can i do to keep them occupied?

my kids are 8, 6, and 3 - and they get a little crazy in the car.

fourkidssoon

Asked by fourkidssoon at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Portable dvd players :) We drove from MD to CA last summer with my then 7 month old and 2 yearold.I was SCARED lol. BUT they did fantastic! Good ol portable dvd player saved my LIFE lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Pipe cleaners are always fun in the car, they are relatively unmessy and the kids love creating a variety of things. Also books on tape are great! We just listened to "percy jackson and the Lightning Thief" on a long drive. I thought my little once wouldn't care for it but they really did.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I love sticky pads with crayons, they love drawing on them and posting them all over your windows, even the older ones.

Video games a must-hand held if you have any, Have the older one play guessing game, with a bag of goodies in it, they feel and say what it is.

Portable DVD player, some fun movies for all ages. A portabel potty, even the little potties. scissors, and lots of crayons.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We do book on CD, car bingo, movies, and sleep. We usually try to travel at night so that the kids will sleep more. Be sure to make the kids go to the bathroom at each stop, even if they say they don't need to go. Hope you have a good trip!
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 12:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure about the 3 year old, but when we went on a long trip, I'd print a map of the drive for each child. On the map I would highlight towns, or little things along the way for them to watch for, I took a roll of quarters with me and if they could keep from fighting and behave between each of those places, they would get a quarter as we passed the next place. They were so busy watching for the next place that the were distracted, I gave out a lot of quarters, they didn't ask how long until we get there, because they could see we weren't there yet on their maps, and they learned some things about map reading. We did work on it a little before we used the maps the first time. I took the maps to our office supply and had them laminated so they didn't tear. I know your little ones might be too small. Good luck, have a great trip.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• start early early in the morning and keep them up a little late so they sleep the first few hours. Plack new small toys form the dollar store and give them a new toy every hour or so. I LOVE the crayola color wonder coloring books for the car! My kids played with those all the way to Florida!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with But Mommie- Also plan breaks where you eat and the kids can get out and run-like at a park. tire them out.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Scavenger hunt - make a list of things they have to find on the trip (include landmarks you know you'll pass and a few things they might see - like a bright purple car).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• LOL I know what you mean about crazy mine are older kids 13,12 and 7 it don't matter the age I think if they are under 15 they need to have a break to stretch and run otherwise it's mom my legs hurt mom I'm tired of sitting dvd player or not that even wears it's course I went from Provo Utah to St. george Utah 5 hrs driving and it was enough to almost say never again kids get bored then they get grouchy and start fighting...
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010