I would love to adopt but I don't know if I can afford it. How expensive is it really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• There are many different processes in adoption..you have to do a lot of research and find the way that is right for your family. I will give you the basics...
    Foster-adoption- Free in many places or very minimal fees.. ages range from newborns to teens. Many states require you to be a licensed foster parent before being allowed to adopt, however in some states you can adopt without being licensed.. There are background checks done as well as classes. Each state has different laws regarding adoption in foster care as well as TPR. The downside is that many kids are not available due to TPR not being signed and may never be signed or terminated by a judge.
    Domestic infant- done through an attorney or agency. Typically chosen by expectant mom...background checks, profile, many fees...think $10K if not more..again, state laws all differ in regards to TPR or revocation period..some are 30 days some are 1 year.
    Continued...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The adoption of my three perfect, beautiful children was almost free:) I adopted through the foster care system. There are many different ways to build your family through adoption. International adoption, foster care adoption, domestic infant adoption. I suggest joining a few of the adoption groups, they will be able to answer your questions and you can meet other mom's who have adopted.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 12:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I guess the first thing you'll want to do is decide what you are hoping for in your family. Are you wanting a baby or an older child? Are you willing to take the risk of falling in love with a child, then having to part with him or her? That can happen with both foster-adopt and domestic infant. Many of the foster-adopt moms here will tell you that it is not without its struggles, but well worth it. There are some good groups that can give you more info on that. I do not have experience in that area.

You can start searching your area to see what kind of help is available. For example, if you live in Nebraska, there is Nebraska Children's Home Society, and they have no fees at all. They do both foster placements and adoptions. Unfortunately, they are only licensed in that state. We used Catholic Charities twice, paying $5,000 and $10,000.

Just make sure they treat the emom with respect. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Depends on your method of adoption. There is an older question that someone explained all the different adoptions and round about costs.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• the last time I heard it was around $10,000 just to start maybe try fostering like luckymommy said and go that way.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It depends on how you do it. I am adopting an infant through fost/adopt and it is costing us nothing. The homestudy, training, etc was all free.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• International- 4 layers of government, lots of paperwork for the US as well as country of choice, $$$$...very unpredictable. You must be prepared for the unexpected such as your chosen program closing and losing all of your money. You may get a referral for a 2 month old baby and not be allowed to travel for over a year. Other programs are very long waits for a referral- China for instance is over 4 years from the time a dossier is accepted to a referral. Every country has different requirements, laws, and procedures and they all have different fees... our adoption from China was $26K, but my friend's from Russia was $45K.....
    Embryo- I don't know anything about this process..

Honestly, research is your best friend when it comes to adoption. Talk to first moms, adoptees, adoptive parents, learn about RAD, SPD, SID, attachment, and the laws of your state in regards to being an heir...some states don't recognize adoptees n the
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• death of a parent..they are not afforded equal rights like bio children.

Last but not least- understand that an adoptee, whether they are newborn or 16 yrs of age are not blank slates. They will grieve and mourn at some point in their life. It is essential that if you do adopt and proceed with an open adoption that it remain open. Closed adoptions are very difficult on the adoptee.. I know since my 4 1/2 yr old will never know her bio family. ( adopted from China.)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010