Nipple discharge

Is nipple discharge common is women who aren't pregnant? What causes nipple discharge besides pregnancy?

mrsjksimmons

Asked by mrsjksimmons at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Health

• If you have been pregnant or nursing recently (meaning in the last 3 or 4 years lol) then it could be from that. Your breasts are not designed to stop lactating suddenly, they're designed to very slowly taper off over years and years. So if you stop nursing suddenly or never nurse at all and were pregnant beyond 15 or 16 weeks then it's likely you will continue to have some discharge for a while afterward. Some women never fully stop lactating. Do you have the discharge randomly or do you have to express it?

Other things that cause breast leakage are infections and tumors, hormonal imbalances and certain medications.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am not on any medications that would affect me like that. My son is 2.5 years old. It was a couple of times last week and I think once this week but it might have been a water drop. LOL
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Do you do self breast exams? Unless you've noticed anything else strange about your breasts I wouldn't worry about it unless it's foul-smelling or funny colors (green, blue, brown, black, etc). If it continues or gets worse over the next month or two then see your HCP, but other than that, just ignore it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Thanks. It is just clear colored. I really haven't had any problems with my breasts. I don't do self exams but I know I should.
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• So do a quick one when you take a shower today and see what you find, no big deal :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010