is it painful when your milk dries up?

I am still breastfeeding but will be going back to work and am scared about my milk drying up once I stop breastfeeding because a friend of mine said that it was very painful when hers dried up...is this true? And how does it feel when that's happening exactly?

PeruvianMami954

Asked by PeruvianMami954 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can be if you do it very quickly. If you gradually begin to breastfeed less and less over several weeks, its can be completely painless.

I weaned over about a 2 month time period and I never hurt at all :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Mine wasn't. I stopped breastfeeding and almost immediately, I no longer leaked or anything, it just went away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Everyone is different. Some it doesn't hurt so bad, others are horrible. Just like some breasts are so sore when the milk comes in they can't even stand to have water in the shower hit them, while others barely notice. I personally hurt when I binded myself to purposely dry up. But binding was a faster way than letting then dry up on their own.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If you let the baby wwean, then no. If you stop abruptly, then yes, it can.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Don't stop breastfeeding. Breastfed babies with working mothers have fewer infections and sick days. They continue to get the benefits of breastfeeding.

I breastfed 3 children and they all weaned gradually and it wasn't painful.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I went through the process 3 times... the first time was HORRID. The last two times, I learned from my first experience. You can't just stop. If you're nursing frequently and weaning- your breasts are going to continue producing as they are. If you are going to stop cold turkey, so to speak, you have to relieve pressure enough for the pain to be tolerable and yet not continue the process.

What works best is to slowly decrease your feedings until your body slows down production enough to quit. Good luck!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Both times I weaned I had no discomfort. My kids were over a year and the process was very gradual. If you are planning on weaning when you return to work, think about how you can make it gradual. Plan on pumping in the beginning, even just enough to relieve pressure. Continue to breastfeed when you and baby are together.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on how long you have been nursing. If it has only been a couple of months it might be worse than if you are down to a few feedings at 11 months. Mine never hurt but I nursed for a full year before weaning to regular milk. Just do it slowly and hopefully it won't hurt so much!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I was hurting for a few days but it was not that bad Just make sure you wear a supportive bra!
    misscomplex9890

Answer by misscomplex9890 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It can be if you do it cold turkey. Is there a reason you feel you need to wean completely? Even if you don't want to deal with pumping, you can still nurse while together and formula while apart, which will benefit the both of you. Just an idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010