sunblock

I would like to know which works better for sunblock,the lotion,or sprays? And what is the best kind to buy? My son and I burn real easy cause we have fair skin freckles and the red hair so I really want him to be able to go to the water park and not have to wear a shirt cause its not comfortable.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 12:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Health

• I would recommend a full spectrum sun screen, both UVA and UVB. Also when buying sunscreen keep in mind that it is only proven to work up to SPF 30. After that it's a guess. I would look for water proof as well, even if you aren't going in the water. Also remember that sunscreen does expire so replace it each year! And reapply reapply reapply. Good luck
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I like the spray better... less mess
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I use a spray by Coppertone for Kids. it's a 70+ SPF (both my kids have fair skin especially my DD. My DS is starting to tan more tho). And I have a sunscreen stick to use on their face. I don't use sunscreen.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I do both...b/c the lotion goes on the face easier and the spray is good for back, stomach and legs.

They also make those swim shirts for boys...my son has one and loves it :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Okay now I've seen it go as high as 100 spf and it costs anywhere from 10-15 dollars. SHould I not waste my money buying the higher stuff?
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm so fair that the lightest shade of foundation is too light for me and I grew up on a boat, so I am super familiar with sunscreen. My favorite brand is Banana Boat. Sprays and lotions work the same. It's easier to get an even coat on a wiggly kid with a spray, but they cost more and you use up a bottle a lot fast than a lotion.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My kids have red hair too (and my husband has freckles). We use the SPF shirts on the kids and hubby wears a shirt. Then for arms and legs we use a spray of like SPF 75 and like a SPF 20 on the face. Only time they burn is when they forget to reapply.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I meant to say the lightest foundation is too dark for me, sorry. My dr says anything over 30spf is over kill. He says that 30 is as high as it really goes and the higer numbers aren't different than the 30. I'm not sure if he's right or not, but I never burn with SPF 30.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010