How long did your child suck their thumb?

My 13 month old sucks his thumb, always has. It's cute now but I know it won't be so cute when he's 5.

When did your little one kick the thumb?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 12:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 16 mos old sucks his thumb (the only one of my kids). My ped told me to do nothing about it. When he's 5, my ped said he will talk to him and tell him it's time to stop. He said that in 9 out 10 patients, it works, and they stop!

I was a thumbsucker until I was probably 9. I remember my parents trying to stop me. My kids' ped said this is why I probably did it so long. He said just let it go and don't try to take it away.

It is pretty cute when they are this young. LOL And he only sucks his thumb when he's tired. Mainly in bed.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son is almost 6 and still sucks his thumb at night.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Of my 3 kids I have not had any thumb suckers. However, I did just read recently that a study showed that the more kids were told not to and/or discouraged from sucking their thumb, the longer they tended to do it. So, you may just want to ignore it and hope for the best!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter stopped at the age of 4, oddly when she was willing to pack her "blankie" away into her hope chest, the thumb went too....

My son stopped at 3....for no apparent reason....he just stopped :)
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my daughter is 17 years old and she still sucks her thumb, usually it's a comfort thing. When I had a ultra sound she was sucking thumb, it has never been a big deal for me. When my daughter was 12 the dentist put a device in her mouth to prevent thumb sucking. She cried, it hurt 6 months later device removed and guess what?? thumb went right back into her mouth! She has beautiful teeth not at all croocked..
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• uug, never, thank god!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• DD just turned 3 and still sucks her thumb. But she does it much less now. Only when she's nervous or going to sleep.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter has done it since she was born, she is 2 now and its starting to effect her teeth, but dr says leave it for now!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Never, I have tried to get him to switch from pasi to thumb, but he just isn't interested!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter did it till just recently she was 9---only at night--so I started putting socks on her hands at night she doesn't do it anymore.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010