I'm wondering how normal it is for siblings to drift apart?

I have an older & younger sister by 3 years each way. We all seem to have grown apart, I miss the time we used to spend together, has this happend to others? We used to get together with our kids so much more ....

Stefono

Asked by Stefono at 12:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it has to do with how close you've stayed. I know we were all close till we all moved far apart. You always intend on visiting and staying close but somehow life gets in the way. It is sad to me. None of my siblings are close like we use to be. Visiting costs a lot. I wish things could be different.
    MaryBethBest

Answer by MaryBethBest at 9:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think our lives have a sort of ebb and flow to them. I'm not as close to my older brother as I once was; he has been overseas twice and stationed in three different states since I was in college. I miss seeing him as much, but it makes it all the better when he's home. I am almost closer to my second brother, whom I used to be unable to stand. If you miss them, how about calling them up and making a monthly date, for the whole family or just you guys? They probably got busy, just like we all do, but I'll bet they miss spending more time with you too. My mom only sees her siblings a few times a year because they have all moved away and gotten busy with their lives. They keep in touch through email and sometimes facebook when they can't get together.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Personally, I think it's normal. Life gets in the way of all relationships. My sister lives less than a block from me... I am lucky to see her every 2 or 3 months... Just a part of life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i hear ya!! i have an older sister and older brother, and none of us are as close as we used to be..my sister moved about 9 hours away, so that is one reason, but my brother is only 15 minutes away...it makes me sad..i get along with both of them perfectly fine..bu my sis and my bro dont like each other and it realllllly bothers me!!!!! i guess sometimes theres nothing you can really do..kinda sucks!! but i guess thats life :(
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have learned that I need to make an effort to get the family together. I usually will have a family BBQ and I really enjoy having all the cousins play together.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yup, I guess so & yaeh it does 'just suck!' My little sister got married & moved 7 hours away, & took my mom with her, who hates to drive so she doesn't.My older sister she's 20 minutes away & works & thats it. I used to love when we all got together to go to the beach & or go for lunch & coffee.There just seems like no one knows you like your own family, ya know.' It was fun & all, I miss it thats all.
    Stefono

Comment by Stefono (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think a lot of it has to do with what you have in common. I had an older brother who is now deceased, and I have a younger sister who lives about 2 1/2 hours away from me. My sister and I speak on the phone almost every day. My brother and I did not talk nearly that often, but when we did or when we were together, we shared laughter and enjoyed one another's company. Part of the key to any good relationship is in being more interested in the other person and his actiivites than you are in what you are into. I think the trend today is for most people to be more self-absorbed, and when they aren't being stroked, they tend to drift away, looking for someone who just might give them what they are looking for. Every relationship must be cultivated, and that is done by being interested in the other person and what is going on in his life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My sister and I are polar opposites. We get along but we rarely do anything together. And we live together! She doesn't have any kids so she goes out a lot while I stay home with my kids (I don't have a babysitter). But she will help me out when I need it. Tho she's rarely home anymore since she started dating this new guy...
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 12:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• bump
    abcxyz

Answer by abcxyz at 3:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• bump
    abcxyz