Phone call ettiquette, how do I handle this?

I don't want to bother my family by calling too often, but no one ever calls me lol. I called my mom (who usually talks to me at least once a week) the last 5 times and now we haven't spoken in almost two weeks because I haven't called (don't want to be annoying) and she hasn't called either.

I've also called my sister and left a couple of messages and she never called back.

Should I call again or what?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• without knowing details of how far you live from one another and how often you see one another it hard to answer. i try to talk to my daughter at least everyother day and i see her at least once a month. we both work and live 2 hours from each other. i talk to my mom almost daily and see her about once a week, she lives 45 min away. my sister lives several states away and we talk weekly and more if something comes up during week. my 2 brothers live out of state and they NEVER call me. ive gotten to where i stopped calling them unless i have a question or something. i guess it also depends on the relationship you have with your family. i personally would not go 2 weeks without talking to my mother or daughter (20). you also need to think about, is it really that important who calls who when it comes down to it? we dont have our parents forever and sometimes we have to just suck it up and make an effort to stay in touch.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's your family you should never have to feel like you are bothering them! Especially your mom. If you want to talk call them!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If you want to talk to them, then call! Sometimes I get busy and don't remember to call people, but would LOVE if they called me. I say call, if they get annoyed by your calling, they will stop answering the phone. If they still answer, then they are not annoyed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I hate that. I used to be awful at keeping in touch, and it was always my mom calling, and fairly rarely at that. Once I got pregnant with my daughter, I found I really wanted a much closer relationship, so I started calling her. We were talking daily through my pregnancy and a bit beyond, but in the last I don't know how many months, I've had to call or email or text to talk to her. I know she talks to my sisters daily, so it sucks a little. It doesn't help that I have a different cell carrier, she keeps telling me it's too expensive, but considering she's 3 hours ahead, she could call after 9 her time and still have it be early here. I also feel like when I talk to her, she's trying to get off the phone. No real advice, just an "I understand" from me. I end up calling probably 9 times out of 10.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my in-laws are the same way - you have to call them even on YOUR birthday for them to wish you a happy birthday - it's really ANNOYING
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You should not have make all of the effort. Don't call them. Let them call you. If you don't talk to them very often, then that shows you how well they want to keep up with you. Do you "talk" on facebook or anything like that? They may see that as contacting you instead of a phone call.
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 12:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have the same situation. So mainly I call when I feel like it or have something I need to talk about, but otherwise I just let it go.

Answer by Bmat at 1:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I talk to my mom multiple times a day. All other family members, I don't call them any more because they don't call me. My dh has always been the one to call, and he still does. But no one calls him! I'm of the opinion that they must not really care how I am!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If you have something to say, then call them. It stinks to be the one to carry the relationship, but if you want to be talking to them, you'll have to be the one to call.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010