Should they be allowed to release the names?

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/421643_supco14.html?source=mypi

SCOTUS ruled that the names of people who signed an anti-gay rights petition to try and overturn a law can be made public. Ignore for a fact the entire gay-rights aspect of it. For ANY petition, should they be allowed to release the names? What if it wasn't something as hot button and far more personal - say a petition for a program for people with herpes or severe allergies? What kind of precedent does it set? They've already done this once in CA, and much as it might be vindicating to see the names released on the Prop-8 petitions, people's homes and businesses were vandalized, their children terrorized. People behaved like children once they had access to those names. Would they be any kinder if it was something even less acceptable?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My answer would have to be no. California is a different animal all it's own though. I believe many in California actually support gay rights. I myself could careless, they aren't hurting me no matter what they are doing with each other so I say let them do as they please. However, it is an invasion of privacy in my opinion for this kind of thing to be released. I don't get how other people's beliefs are the publics business at all. That's just my take on it though.
    alwayscarolina

Answer by alwayscarolina at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't think anything like this should be public. It should be against the law to share these things for the safety of the signer.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Signing petitions is a choice. If it's not something that you can fully support, and are willing to accept the possible adverse reactions, perhaps you should think very carefully before you sign.

How can something that YOU willingly signed be an invasion of your privacy?

No that I support thug behavior, I do not.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• NO! they should not be allowed to release the names.

Here I go again but, "This is how the Government will keep a eye on us"
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I can see both sides of the debate. If the overturning of the law was a result of the petition I would think it should be public record. Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom of consequences of your words.
    However, knowing that in the past this type of information was used to single out those that signed for vanalism it's clear that some are abusing the information. I think if they are going to make these lists public then violent or illegal behavior against those that participated should be subject to bigger consequences.
    Seems like it's a huge can of worms.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How can something that YOU willingly signed be an invasion of your privacy?

Easy - it can be about a sensitive issue you support but don't feel the need to share with everyone you know. Like I said - ignore the whole "gay" thing and focus on the real question. Should cancer and AIDS patients who haven't told their families about their illness never support cancer or AIDS related causes because the info might be released? How about parents of kids with disabilities? If they don't want to shout about their child's autism or incontinence or dyslexia from the rooftops, should they just keep the opinion to themselves?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's a slippery slope and no one's business who signs a petition for what. Many things are a choice but that does not mean names need to be released to terrorize people into seeing things your way.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• But a petition is stating that you are a citizen that is willing to put your name down to cause change. It is a public document, and it says so right on it. It is the reason you have to get so many true and legal signatures.

If you want to be private, then you need to go about it a different way.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes, they were bold enough to vote against someone elses right,,,,,
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

So you think AIDS patients should be outed if they sign a petition?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010