New Neighbors

OK, we have new neighbors- They have 2 boys (roughly in the same age group as my kids- between the eldest and middle).
They are sooo ill behaved- scream, throw things, hit their mother, etc. I simply do not want them over at my house! Their mom is really pleasant, and I don't know how to address the issue without offending her. It seems like she already has a lot on her plate with these two!

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Set the rules at your house. If they want to scream, throw things, hit, etc... they have to go home. If their mom asks tell them those things are not acceptable in your house and you warned them. Actually it would be a good idea to post a large sign near the front door with the house rules, so there is no questions about how people are expected to act.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• All kids crave structure, or so the professionals tell us so!! I agree with sleepingbeautee - clearly state what your house rules are and the consequences for not following them. I bet you will be surprised at how well they behave in your home once you do this.
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 1:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm not so much worried about how they will behave, but that their mother is the type that hovers (contributing factor to their behavior?) they were foster children that they adopted (which I think is awesome!!!), but they are so unruly!
    My kids witnessed enough violence living with their father before we were divorced- I have (along with therapists, and my SO) worked very hard to negate the damage done, and they have learned to be relatively peaceful. As soon as they see these children, their behavior and posture becomes defensive. I do not want MY children to lash out because they feel threatened.

Their mom has already made remarks about how racist people can be (she and her DH are white, the boys are mixed), and not wanting the kids to play. I think she is missing the point, that their behavior, and how she handles it, is why ppl don't want them around- not their skin! I don't want her labeling me because of it either.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010