How long should it take a 16mo to forget nursing?

I stopped nursing my 16 mo, but he isn't accepting it. I thought it would be easy because he was only nursing twice a day, and before sleeping. But now he is crying non-stop and trying to pull up my shirt to nurse. THis is my 3rd day, and I can't go back to nursing him because I took medicine to stop lactation. So my question is, how long will my and my son's suffering last? And by the way, he isn't drinking any milk (formula). He refuses it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried giving him regular whole milk now, not formula? He was old enough at 1 to start drinking it. A lot of kids do the nursing for comfort as they get older--will he let you just snuggle with him without nursing?
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Try feeding it to him instead of just letting him hold the bottle, that could work. Just stick too it, he will get the idea in a week or so and probably be fine. When I nursed my kids I always used bottles along with it so it made it fairly easy.
    alwayscarolina

Answer by alwayscarolina at 12:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• he doesnt need cows milk. just stick with it, offer him a cup with some water, or juice watered down....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Even if you are not lactating (which I highly doubt- even with a medical assist. This recently, you will still produce if stimulated), then you should go ahead and let him nurse, at least at night. He was comfort nursing, and it will do NO harm to let him continue to do so. It is actually traumatic to suddenly wean (though you were only nursing a couple times a day, it was still a daily occurrence, so to him it IS sudden)... Let him have his snuggles, and his night time boobies.
    My youngest is 3 now, and he still likes to nuzzle his boobies when he is extremely tired, or he has a boo boo, is sick, etc. It's a comfort issue. Even if he's not getting the nutrition he once was.

Your call, but I would let him have some snuggles, and let him nurse. He obviously isn't ready to wean yet. GL
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I completely weaned my son around 14 months. He had just been nursing before bed at that point, but it was still difficult to completely stop it. At that point, I wanted to AND I had to because I was taking medicine for a surgery that tainted the breastmilk. The easiest thing for me to do was to distract him. He'd tug at my shirt and I'd refocus his attention to something else. Vary it up and keep trying with milk. He might be rejecting it now because he specifically wants breastmilk and he hasn't even given the mlk a real chance!

Weaning is hard. Within a week or so he should be over the worst of it! Good luck.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He may be more upset by the fact that he is being told "no" than by the not nursing. I'd suggest you go ahead and let him next time he asks. If you don't have any milk he may realize that it is not that great any way and stop asking.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Let him nurse. If you don't have milk he'll figure it out, and the whole thing will be less traumatizing for him than saying "no". At this age, he can't really understand "no" that well and it probably feels like rejection. Try letting him latch on, and then try distracting him a few minutes later.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010