Thrown out of the Farmers Market WITH MY TWO KIDS,WTF????

Two days ago I went to the local Farmers Market with my two boys (1 and 4). While we were there I decided to buy some food off the hot bar. I fixed two plates and had a couple of juices for the kids. When I got to the register the total was $18 +. I pulled out my debit card to pay, but the cashier informed me that they did not take debit at the hot bar, so I asked where the nearest ATM was. Come to find out, they didnt have one, so I asked if they would void one of my plates so that I could afford to pay in cash. The answer was NO. They called security and I was told to leave the building and nevr return. My kids were crying and terrified as everyone was watching and two security gards demand that I leave. Another custoner offered to help pay, but he was refused to help me and I was followed out of the store and to my car as they proceeded to call the county police! Im PISSED! What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in About CafeMom

• That's really sad......
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would call and find out how to get a hold of the owner or manager. You could in fact sue them for that.
    alwayscarolina

Answer by alwayscarolina at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• WTF is right. I have no idea why they would act towards you that way. Damn, don't know what to say. Perhaps reporting to a better business bearu but I don't know cuz it was a farmer's market.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That's crazy. I'd find out who owned the place and have it out with them.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would definitely look further into this. I'm not sure how your Farmer's Market is set up, but the one where I live is run by a Growers' Association. I would research it until I found out who the top person was and I would then talk personally with that person. There's something very wrong with the way this went down.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would complain, and then make sure they knew that because of the treatment I received I was never going back. I work in a business that does not take cards, and the owner is always willing to work with the customer so that they can make the purchase, whether it's holding the material while they get cash from an ATM or their checkbook, or changing the amounts so they can at least get part of it with the cash they have. That is bad business right there. And why were the police involved? That seems odd to me...
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I would talk to a lawyer, there's no reason for them to treat you like that. If they have a cash only policy they should have a sign that says so, and if someone else was willing to help pay the bill until you could get to an ATM, then they should have let them. As for saying that you couldn't come back, there's something wrong with that, I mean, if you had caused a scene I could understand, but just asking if you could have a plate taken off or asking where an ATM is, that's not a scene. And calling the police was WAY overboard, I would have filed a complaint right then and there.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• What??? I don't get why they wouldn't take a debit card that's insane!! I find the security asking you to never come back is a bit drastic. You had no idea they didn't take debit something should have been worked out. But on the other hand I suppose this can be a lesson to us all bring plenty of cash to the farmer's market. That being said I would find out who is in charge just simply call the farmers market ask to speak to who is in charge. Calmly explain what happened and that you didn't feel like you were being treated fairly..But the police??? why??
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I understand not taking debit, especially if it is a "small business" type thing. To get the card readers a business owner has to pay 2% or more of the amount to the company that provides the reader, and that can drive costs up so much that the customers go somewhere else. That should have been posted, though. The rest, well like I said above, bad business there.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I've never heard of that before either. Its silly to have you leave and never come back when I'm sure you would have been glad to leave, get the cash and come back and pay for everything. What would have made sense is to hold your ID or something until you got back.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010