What is involved in a home study?

We're just getting started in the adoption process.

Asked by elwalters77 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Adoption

• A foot tall of paper work..every question known to man! LOL ..references, background info, job info, everything about you, your spouse, the inlaws..the out laws..j/k! And then the notorious "Home Study"!!! My friend gave me the best advice about want your home clean, but not too clean... You don't want it to look as if you just had the maid there. She said throw a couple of socks next to the bed and leave your shoes out. Biggest advice is to be yourself and try to relax. These people are not the enemies...they just want good homes for their placements. Make them feel welcome in your home and just do your best ...that is all you can do. You are a will do fine. good luck!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• A social worker will come to visit you in your home. Usually at least twice. They will want to interview every person that lives in the home. During that interview our social worker asked questions about you growing up, your relationship with your parents, what are the dynamics that brought you to adopt etc. A tour of the home.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• During the tour they are looking for a lot of different things. Do you have proper accomadations for the new child, safety,cleanliness, where are medications, cleansers, poisons kept/stored. They will ask about guns in the home. They will also do a background check on all adults and teens that live in the home. If you have school age kids they may go to the school to look see if there are issues there. Basically, for us anyway, it was a necessary but very invasive process. Only one thing shocked me though. She asked if we had a trampoline and then verified in the yard that we did not. I asked her why. She said "if you did you would not be approved for the adoption until it was gone" I later asked our lawyer about it and he confirmed it was true.I got really nervous about the whole thing but I'm not sure why. We had nothing to hide. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

• The Adoption Home Study Process
    How will the children in our family be involved in the home study? Children in your family (whether they joined your family through birth, foster care, ... -

Answer by vbruno at 11:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2008