What is this and how can I make it stop?

My son is 14 months old, and lately he has been making a grunting noise for everything. Grunting if I walk away from him, grunting if he wants something and I don't give it to him, etc. He's not autistic, so I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced this, and will he grow out of it?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd did this for a while.
    i just didnt pay attention to it ... she stopped eventually. just a new thing he figure do out to do!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think its fairly common! They do eventually grow out of it. 2 of my 3 kids did it!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He is exploring sounds, and doing something that draws a reaction from you. If you don't react, it will end sooner.
    Warning you though, that this is just the beginning- they learn to make the most annoying sounds!!! Eventually you learn to tune it out, and only listen for sounds of distress.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He is trying to express himself but since his vocabulary is limited, he can't express himself with actual words. My son's ped told me it was part of the normal development process.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• mine done this too.all of them grew out of it by 18 months.
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Totally normal! He will stop eventually.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Thanks! Occasionally he cries after he does this too, but he's always fine. Clean diaper, full tummy, etc. Still normal?
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010