what is wrong with this dang cat?

i've been scrubbing carpets since 6:30 this morning. He woke us up puking which isnt uncommon. He often does this but we woke up and fed him and he puked again..and again..and again and has been puking all afternoon. It is now 1:30 in the afternoon and he is either puking or dry heiving. I'm tired of scrubbing the carpet and my dh is too cheap to take him to the freaking vet even though it his his little snooky wooky. What do i do? What could be wrong?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Lets see, is he an Inside cat? are you finding anything in his vomit that he could have ate? He clearly has an upset tummy - but you could still CALL the vet and see what they think, they don't charge you for that - even though they won't give you a Positive answer, they should be able to help you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• he may have gotten into something. he probably needs to see a vet.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have never seen a cat vomit like that. He either ate/drank something he shouldn't have or is sick. I would take him to the vet.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Take him to the vet!! This happened to my cat. His kidneys shut down. He couldn't poop or pee anymore. We ended up having to put him to sleep. It could be serious.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My parents cat did that once. Turned out she had a splinter of some sort stuck in her throat, which the vet had to put out.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He needs to see a Vet. It is not common for cats to vomit that long. Some vomit every once in a while is okay, but not that often. If your child was sick like that would you take them to the doctor??? Same thing to me. You can try calling the Vet, but I can guarantee they are going to say the cat needs to be scene.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i agree he needs to see a vet but its hard for us to even come up with the money to take ourselves to the doctor. I feel sorry for the cat and i am always telling my husband to take him to the vet. If my husband "okays" it with the money i will be more than happy to take him. I just don't know what else to do for him in the mean time.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• There really isn't much you can do for him in the mean time. I guess first of all take away his food and water. If in two hours he hasn't vomited, you can offer him a little bit of water. If he still hasn't vomited by way later in the night (like 10 or 11) offer him some BLAND FOOD. Like cooked rice and plain boiled chicken. It works the same with cats as it does with us, if you are vomiting, to much water and food to soon will only make it worse. GL. Have you asked your vet if they have a needy pet fund, or if they know of any rescue organizations that may be able to help financially?
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Naa, i'm sure my dh could come up with the money if he really wanted to take him. I think he just doesnt really think its a big deal. I mean, we don't take ourselves to the doctor unless we are really really sick. We would rather put our money in places that we need it, ya know? I think my dh just thinks it ridiculous to spend so much at a vet but i know he will be sorry if he dont take him.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well cats don't really get viruses and such like we do. If an animal is vomiting like that, there is something seriously wrong. It won't take long for him to go down hill. I had a cat that started vomiting like that. He was literally on death's door in the matter of 13 hours. It turns out he had Irritable Bowel Disease. He had to be on special food, and would still have episodes every once in a while. He was hospitalized 3 times for vomiting. If you have the money, then you have to take him in. It is cruel to let him suffer just because "it's ridiculous to spend so much at a vet." If that is how you feel, then you have no right to own an animal in the first place.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010