What breast pump do you recommend?

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 1:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Freestyle is awesome, I even took it out of the bag it came in and it can go in a much smaller bag, even your briefcase lol. I won mine from cafemom, I rarely use the handsfree for now but man its an awesome pump!! I have own about every other pump on the market and this is the best so far
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My medical insurance company actually paid for me to get a Medella Pump In Style. I loved it. I say go for one of those if you can afford it. Also call your medical insurance company and asked if they are covered under you plan. You may have to make a co-pay, but it still saves money.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Depends on what you need it for. Occasional pumping for a night or day out: a single pump, either manual or electric would probably be fine. Going back to work, need to pump for baby at home: you want a double electric. As far as brand, I personally prefer medela. Ameda is pretty good too. I would avoid any pumps made by formula companies, especially if you will need one long term. They tend to wear out sooner and not be as efficient at removing milk, lower quality, etc. I was given an evenflo as a gift; that's another one to avoid. I burned the motor out, and it was painful to pump with prior to that. I also haven't heard great things about the playtex and mi pumps, but don't have any personal experience with those.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It totally depends on what you need it for. If it is only to pump out milk a couple of times a week then a hand pump like the one form Avent or Medela are both good. If you are going back to work full time and are going to be pumping every day at work, then it is worth every penny to by a high quality, double electric pump from a reputable pump company like Ameda or Medela. Don't try to save money by buying one that claims to work as well but is a lot cheaper. You will get what you pay for!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Hmm I should but I really doubt it since I have the suckiest insurance ever lol. But it doesn't hurt to ask! Thanks for the heads up.
    cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Medela is the best out there. A double electric if you work full time, if you work only part time a single medela electric works well especially if you combine it with efficient pumping techniques (I use one). A manual pump is okay for occasional pumping needs (or hand expression works fine too if you know how).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i loved using my medela pump and it worked great when i had to go back to work
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 1:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I will be needing it for work. Since I work full time, I already have a Medela one but it's hte HUGE ones lol. I really don't want to carry my briefcase of a breast pump to work. I did see the Medela freestyle it looks awesome and it's hands free and it's small so I know I won't have a problem using that here at work.
    cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have used the Medela Manual pump since December when I went back to work. I work 4 days a week and have been pumping 3 times every day for that amount of time. I LOVE my pump, it's quick, efficient, nose-free and extremely handy. I would definitely recommend it.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Meant to say 'noise free'. LOL
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010