Extra clingy 19 month old, this is just phase?

She is 19 months old and lately she only wants me, as before it was only her dad. It could be that I am 6 months pregnant or something I am not sure. I can't even go to the bathroom without her crying at the door for me. I really hope this is a phase I can just imagine how it's going to be when the new baby arrives. Anyone else's toddler like this?

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 1:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep...it's just a phase....your lo probably knows something is changing...just give her attention, and try not to lose your sanity with..when the new baby comes, try getting her to help out, ya know, like "can you be a big girl and get mommy a diaper for the new baby?"...she'll eventually be more independent, and not so clingy...just be prepared though, jealousy will happen.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• She is just going through a clingy phase right now. She will likely be in a completely different phase when the baby comes in 3 months so try not to worry about that! For now, just indulge her so that she does not try to cling even tighter. I can remember mine going through times like that and I would just automatically bring them into the bathroom with me!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It could be the pregnancy, but my daughter went through that around that age, too. It lasted about a month. Try reassuring her that you won't go away without telling her, and you always come back.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It is probably just because of confusion from the pregnancy. It should get better eventually. Maybe getting her some books on being a big sister would help and reinforcing to her that you will always be her mommy and you will always love her! Congrats on the new baby!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010