How do you wean a 4 yr old off a sippy cup at bed time?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 1:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IMO you don't "wean" a four yr. old. You just tell him, "this is the last night you can have a sippy cup before bed. You are too big for it now."
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If its just water in the sippy, I don't see an issue with having it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with both answers! ....as long as its just water then it's not a problem...but if it's juice or milk then possibly just switch to water. Tell him it's either water or nothing...you pick. That is what I tell my 2 yr old and respects that.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• and she respects that***
    MrsPilat

• there is no weaning at that age, you are either going to stop the habit or continue it. And really since a 4 yr old cannot be expected to have much self control, its up to you to do it. from experiance, if you get rid of the sippy cups it will only be an issue for a day or two. Course my kids were younger so I don't think it was as difficult as it would be with a 4 yr old.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm just curious, is your 4 year old potty trained? Do they wet the bed? I know if my son has anything to drink after 7 pm, he wets the bed. He was done with drinks before bed long before we even potty trained him (probably before he was 2). I think we just stopped doing it one night, and he was fine. He gets a few sips of water after he brushes his teeth. That may be a good compromise. Let your child have a small cup of water (like those little paper cups you keep in the bathroom) after s/he brushes teeth.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would just get rid of them. Try picking up some cups with lids and straws instead. I found some at Target or Walmart that are great in the baby section. At least then, it will be more of a big girl cup and she will have a drink, too!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010