Cleaning tips: my living room is the only neat place in here!

well not exactly but it feels that way. my bedroom and kitchen need a major makeover but i live in a rented space and cant do too much to it. my hubby is a mess maker and leaves all his dirty clothes stacked on top of each other in our room, and store all his shoes, and other misc stuff back there. we only use it for sleeping, we dont have anything else back there. we always sit in the living room so its always cleaned throughout the day. and my kitchen is a mess! i have no counter space for ANYTHING. when i cook i have to prepare my food either on the stove or on the kitchen table. so everything is all over b c theres no certain place we can put our stuff! also hubby always leaves whatever he has eaten and used to make it out on the counter and tables! how can i get more order to this? btw i do not like cleaning multiple times a day lol.

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Do one room at a time...
    Kitchen, clean out all of your cabinets, what you don't use get rid of, donate it or throw it away..
    What little counter space you have clear off and look at what you have ... if you don't use it all the time, but need it
    try to find space in a cabinet...
    For your bathroom/bedroom use baskets for dirty clothes, or shoes to be tossed in... toys for the kids baskets are good
    ideas too... you can even mark the baskets with each member of the families name on it so that they know where to put
    their things...
    But the goal is clean out and throw out... if you don't use it, don't plan on using it, or don't ever remember using it, get rid of it..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I find myself cleaning multiples times a day...and I think that's your only hope unless your hubby decides he's going to change...lol You should probably start by finding a place for everything that's in your home. If you have a place, then you have a place to put it in instead of it being all over the place. Get rid of stuff you don't USE or NEED. If you haven't used it in the last 6 months (besides holiday stuff) then ditch it/give it away. Hope this helps! :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I do fly lady which helps me focus, go to flylady.com. I have a routine on things I do every day but then on top of that I focus on one room in the house a week. I think cleaning itself is not hard, it's the decluttering that is hard for me.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you need to give some stuff away! I would make a list of chores you want to get done and then just attack it. Like PP said, turn some music on and just MOVE it! :) I know that it can seem like a mountain but you can do it! How old are your kids? Kids as young at four can pitch in and move laundry around or help put some plastic dishes away and ALWAYS clean up their own room.

Good Luck mama, also for some spot on motivation Google Fly Lady. She is awesome!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• do you have room to get a shelf and put it in the kichen so you can have a place to put things. this way things arent all over the place.Dont know what to tell you about hubby, mine is the same way and my 3 kids I'm always cleaning and picking up.But try to fine something that you can put in the kichen to put stuff onI have no counters but we found something with draw and madde it a counter.If you want to see pic let me know I'll send them to you
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 2:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think the real problem is storage and not having a designated place to put things. Go to Walmart and buy a rolling cart three drawer plastic bin and put your various kitchen items in it then if you can slide it into the pantry if thats not possible then beside the counter or whereever it fits. In the bedroom add in three bins one for dirty clothes, one for clothes to be put away and one for shoes. It should help.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Get motivated Put some music on or get hubby to help or maybe family and get someone to help you organize goodluck!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 2:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The problem is for every box or bag of stuff you bring into your home, an equal number needs to be discarded. Most of us have too much stuff and it quickly becomes cluttered and disorganized. Mail should be reviewed and either filed or discarded. The refrig should be cleaned before shopping day; trash emptied daily. Everything should have a designated space and should be placed in that spot each evening.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I have a shoe organizer hanging in my pantry for all the kids stuff like sippy cups, snack containers, bibs, towels, etc. I love it.
    Try to give away some things especially stuff that topples over in the cabinet and have everything dishwasher safe.
    I bought a cute little revolving silverware caddy for my kids at Target and now they can grab their own utensils and I can put my larger selection of cooking things in the drawer.
    Declutter and organize.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010