So its too hot to cook most days inside my house, what are some things i can fix ahead of time that will still be good, or some no heat or microwave kind of meals?

my air doesnt work very well in my house during these hot months so its torture to even boil water after 12 pm. we have either been eating sandwiches or microwaved veggies and noodles for dinner. i am ready to eat a full 3 course meal lol but its too hot and i only eat chicken and fish, and it doesnt taste as good to me when reheated in the microwave! and we dont eat salads, can someone offer some good meals i can make with minimal heat or that will taste good when reheated

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• On most summer nights if it's to hot to even grill, I put together a tray of cheese and crackers,
    and a tray of assorted veggies and dips...
    I cut up some melons and poof... dinner... and the whole family loves it...
    Also before the heat of the day... try making your pasta salads (ie.. cooking the noodles etc...)
    I have done potato salad and my noodle salads as early as 7 am put them in the frig and
    if you make enough, you have 2 days worth with no worries of cooking...
    Also sandwiches are good dinners... let the kiddies make their own... my 9 yr old loves doing that
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• ok I do this, pick one day a week and cook-take the heat and cook for the week. good cool meals
    pasta salads, even plain pasta cooked and set aside to add-chicken , tuna, pre cooked beef.
    lettuce salads of any kind.
    also google "cool meals" and there is alot of info on stuff to make when its hot.
    more: pancakes-make a bunch to freeze in smaller sizes, and they can be microwavewd at that time.
    sandwiches are always good, grilling...hang in there mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You can get a crockpot! They don't heat the house up, and there's tons of chicken meals you can make in it. One is called chicken parisian; you cook 4 chicken breasts, pour 2 family size cream of mushroom soup on it, one cup of white wine, cook for 4 hours. Then when it's done, mix in about 4 ounces sour cream, serve over rice. Steamers are really useful too for cooking chicken, fish, and veggies.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 2:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Do you have a grill? If not, you sould invest in one. Almost all of the Spring and Summer we grill out. That way the heat stays out of the kitchen. You can do your meat and veggies all on it.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Do you have a BBQ grill(gas) that has a burner? I cook out side when it is this hot.
    You could make a big pot of spaghetti in the morning and then just microwave some later.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• ok no i dont have a grill but i DO have a griddle, haha i just thought about that lol (it hasnt been used in months) thanks for reminding me! not i need some good things to go on a griddle! and yes thanks bearsjen, i took the better part of the morning one day last week and made a bunch of sides that i could just throw in the microwave, its just the meat that is hardest for me lol. my family is SO picky!
    secondtyme520

Comment by secondtyme520 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Shrimp Gazpacho

1 T Olive Oil
    1 lb medium shrimp
    coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
    6 Plum Tomatos
    1/2 small red onion
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 of a cucumber peeled and chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped jarred roasted bell peppers
    1.5 cups tomato juice
    2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar

season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat oil over high heat. Add half the shrimp cook until browned on both sides and opaque in center (3 to 4 min) transfer to a plate.

In a food processor, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cucumber and half of the peppers. Process until combined. Add the tomato juice and vinegar. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, divide the tomato mixture among the bowls; top with shrimp and the remaning roasted peppers.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I do alot of crockpot meals and grill out ALOT during the summer...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Microwaved meat is gross. One thing that I've found that helps when reheating meat is letting it get to room temp first, then you don't have to microwave it as long.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 2:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with others, grill or crock pot. But you should try to add salads. It doesn't just have to be lettuce and veggies. We use spinach leaves because it's way better for you. And along with veggies, you can add apples or mandarin oranges. As well as nuts, like almonds or pecans. And left over chicken is great on a salad.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010