Home Schooling Advice

I plan on starting pre-school homeschooling with my daughter this september. I also plan on long term homeschooling, through high school if she chooses. I was wondering, what are some things I need to buy to get started? Whats the best way to go about setting up an area in the house for learning? What supplies are a MUST? I have done so much research about lesson planning, fun learning, different ways of teaching...but none of the books I've read say anything about things such as setting up a special space/room, needing a desk, what supplies I'll need...so Im at a loss in this area.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you have an extra room you should mae it seem like a school class. Decorate it with stuff you'd find at a school like a desk, a black board, maps, alphabet and number stickers etc. Make it a fun, educational environment!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 2:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Art supplies - go crazy when they start having back to school sales in a few weeks

games and toys that you can teach with - she's young!

make the space whatever works for you - reading area maybe, a desk/table to work on things, computer area, colorful things on the wall, etc. (I haven't actually had the thrill of doing this yet, but yeah, if you do have fun with it!

maybe some maps and a globe (hey, start them young!)

maybe get a few basic workbooks for her age
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• http://www.homeschool.com/articles/mostimportant/default.asp?Hover_NoThankYou=true
    maybe that can help?
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 2:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• At that age, I would recommend lots of paper, crayons, markers, scissors, glue sticks, construction paper, glitter, pom poms, water colors, Popsicle sticks and colored pipe cleaners.

You may want to get one of those strips that shows the manuscript capital and lowercase letters and numbers to hang on your wall.

You don't need to set up a room dedicated to schooling if you don't want to or don't have the space. That is entirely up to you. Plenty of people do their "school work" at the kitchen or dining room table.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well so far what I have planned is simply a corner in my dinning room with a little tykes desk and a bookcase full of toddler/pre-school friendly books. And an art easel with a dry erase board on one side and a chalk board on the other. I have millions of art and craft supplies. And age appropriate flash cards. So I guess I am pretty much ready for pre-school teaching =]
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you are set. I would add fresh printer cartridges and plenty of copy paper because there are always fun activities online that can be printed out.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010