Any tips on successfully breastfeeding twins?

LBD3910

Asked by LBD3910 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a special pillow you can buy - like a boppy but made specifically for twins! I used it and LOVED it. You could also nurse one baby on one breast while pumping the other (the second baby will get a bottle of your breastmilk) and switch each feeding time. - I did this for awhile and it worked out well for us!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/bf-links-multiples.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I ordered the EZ2Nurse pillow from doubleblessings.com. The pillow helped make it possible for me to nurse both at the same time, though I still used a lot of rolled up receiving blankets to keep one baby positioned while I used my hands to latch the other baby. I asked the lactation consultant to stop by and check on us frequently while we were in the hospital. One of my babies did not latch and nurse well, which was very frustrating for all of us. I thought if I nursed them frequently it would all work out, but I wish I had started pumping between some feeding when we first came home from the hospital to help with supply. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Develop a plan for getting the housework and other home management tasks done. Enlist any and all available help, and carefully consider what tasks are most important to you and your family. Assign priorities along with your mate. People's needs come first, especially babies' needs, then comes food and clothing.

Limit your visitors during the first weeks. Family members and friends who come to see the babies can help you in many ways-- they can bring you meals, change diapers, give you a massage, watch the babies while you take a 15 minute walk or a shower, listen to you, etc. Don't be shy about asking for the help you need.

Be aware that many mothers of twins receive criticism from those around them who do not share their enthusiasm for breastfeeding. They may pressure you to use formula or other foods before they are needed or to wean before you feel ready. Sometimes, questions such as "Are you sure you have enough milk?"
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010