Evolution and the uninformed Christian

Why do christians believe that evolution is the belief that we came from, quite literally, "Nothing"?

Is it scary to do a little research?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in God directed creation. I have no problem with the theory of evolution or the big bang theory. The Bible says God spoke and it was so. It never went into detail about how he did it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• just a question.....if you believe in evolution, where do YOU think we came from. and also why do you think humans have not evolved furthur?
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't think that's what most "Christians" think. That sounds more like materialism to me, not evolution. Anyone, Christian or non-Christian would obviously be misinformed if that was what they thought the theory of evolution stated. I am Christian and I am not blind at all as to what the theory is and I still do not believe in it. Why is it so easy to have faith in a "theory" but not faith in God?
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm not christian, but I do understand the idea of evolution. And at some point there is a basis of Nothing... Even if you are one that believe there were rocks or atoms from other solar systems or dust particles or something, the question comes down to without a guiding hand how did the very first piece of matter in the history of everything come to be? And science can't answer that. Hell, science can't even decide which mode of involvement started the process.

I don't think the question is really as black and white as Science vs Religion... It goes deeper than that. For me I see no reason why they can't work together. I see evolution as the tool the Gods used (and are using) to mold creation... If you believe in Gods and not creation, what's the point of believing in Gods? And I can find more proof of their existence than not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Eva - Evolution doesn't work on a time table. In fact if we look backwards through the history of man, we can see very simply that we have evolved - physically, emotionally and mentally... And if you look to the future it's easy to see how we still have room to grow!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Ah, you jump to the defense... regarding something I never stated. I simply asked the question WHY christians function under a misconception regarding evolution.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• while i believe in Creator led evolution, i dont understand everything about evolution. im no scientist and i took college biology where evolution was discussed at length and still know very little about it. its boring and why would i waste my time on something i find so dull? but most intelligent Christians ive talked to dont have a problem w/ the idea of natural selection just the idea that God isnt involved or in control.

i think you'd be more likely to find that most Christians think evolution says we came from monkeys or ooze, than from nothing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think people, not only Christians, confuse evolution and the Big Bang. One is biology and the other is cosmology.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You know, though, there are many creationists who believe in "ex nihilio", that God created the universe "from nothing". Although I think the reason why creationists thing evolution involves us coming from nothing is a lack of familiarity with the subject. And I like what KelleyP77 said about confusing the Big Bang with evolution.

I personally believe that God used science to do His work, that science and faith are compatible, and that God intended us to evolve - so I believe in a Creator intended/led evolution.

I do think that its hard to deny evolution - even as individuals we are constantly growing and changing. Seeing that, and all the other changes that have occurred throughout history makes it hard for me to think that mankind was merely created "as is" and nothing has changed... Its definitely harder for me to believe than evolution. So, like I said, I do believe in evolution - but I believe it was intended by God. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it may be because evolution offers no answer for the question "why?" The human mind wants to know why.

"Darwinian evolution cannot account for our question, "Why?" This is an often-overlooked point. Darwinian evolution does not believe in telos. There is no final cause. There is no purpose. The word "chance" is used, but used with the contradictory attribute of a purposing or intention. 'Two hundred million years ago, chance changed a biological animal into another" as if the word 'chance' was a clear way to explain things. It's tantamount to saying, 'Just because'." -Dale Fincher

Because Why

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010