Are people who comit suicide selfish?

I think my sister was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For many that level of depression distorts their sense of reality, and they cannot see how their death will really affect others. I wouldn't put that in the same bucket as being selfish out of greed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Depends on the reason they committed suicide....
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 2:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes I think it is selfish of someone to commit suicide, what about all of their loved ones who care about them. If they have children, then the children have to grow up without that parent. And to kill yourself b/c you are tired of living or can't "handle" life is pointless. Get help from somewhere...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't think it is selfish. I think the person who does take their own life was in a really bad state to go that far.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i think by that point they are so far gone they are out of the minds.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• probably just sick of the world and the people around them
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• no, not selfish. Stupid. You get ONE life, if you throw it away, you're an idiot... (BTW, I am not being insensitive- I have lost 4 friends to suicide in my 25 years, maybe I am just a little calloused to the emotional side of it)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• not really, my cousin just ended his life, he was thinking about us but he wanted out and thought this was the only way. we all new something was wrong, just not how bad it was. so he left us and all his problems behind and is now in heaven stress free and no one to tell him anything bad
    rockinmamaoftwo

Answer by rockinmamaoftwo at 2:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• In that they never think about how it will ultimately effect those that love them, yes it is selfish.
    But people that commit suicide are sick. They have a mental illness that needed to have been addressed (Depression).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• no, not selfish. Stupid.

I think the why is an issue. If they're dying and in constant pain and want to skip the last 2 weeks of morphine induced intestinal drama coupled with massive hallucinations and constant pain, I don't think that's so stupid or selfish.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010