How do I answer without making me look bad?

So I'm applying for a new job, but I just don't know how to answer the question about why I left my other job. So to give more detail, here is my story. I was working in a retail store for about 6 months, but then applied somewhere else. When I was told I got the job, I made a horrible mistake with the supervisor of what would have been my new job. I thought I was told to call two weeks after my job ended to begin my new one. So of course, I put my notice at the other job and by the time the two weeks passes, I call the supervisor only to discover that I no longer had the job because of that misunderstanding. So because I never began the other job, I don't put it in applications. Also, the store I'm applying to is like a sister company of the last store I worked at (not related to the place I never began). I just don't know what to put without making myself look bad. I'm a very good employee, but I don't want that one mistake

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 2:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Having been in management, and done many interviews in the past, that one story does not raise any major red flags, as long as there are no other red flags. How I'd approach it, is just explain you put in your 2 weeks notice because of a job opportunity that had more growth opportunity. (We like employees who want to grow in a company ya know!) Unfortunately, though it fell through and the position was no longer available and your current position was already filled. Its just a reader's digest version of what happened. Best to stick with the truth, but just made to sound professional. Do not place blame anywhere or speak negative of either company. That is a major red flag in interviews. Trust me! Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Are you asking about the job you were at for 6 months?

You could just say it wasn't a good fit for you and you felt you'd be better off somewhere else. Leave it at that.
    Don't elaborate unless they asked. And I don't think they can ask you that anyways.

If you are asking about the job where you thought you had the job but didn't because of a misunderstanding, you shouldn't list that on your resume. You never worked there, and never collected a paycheck.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sorry I didn't get to finish
    I don't want that one mistake to take away my chance at working. So what do I write?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Id just leave it out. :)
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 2:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You never actually worked there so I'd leave it out.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Leave it out you really never where an employee there. less is best until the foot is in the door. Good Luck...
    Joeydollbaby

Answer by Joeydollbaby at 2:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• hmmm I'd say just be honest about the mistake in the interview, on your resumes you dont have to put down why you left
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 2:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would just say that you are looking to expand your work experience. but you need not say anything unless they specifically ask.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well, the thing is that it is aking me why I left the job I ACTUALLY worked at. Not the job I never began. I left my first job because of the other offer. That's why I'm having a hard time writing why I left my first job without making me look unreliable or flaky. You know?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• yea..i would just leave it out, u were never on payroll with them and you don't want your new job to talk to your "would of been supervisor"
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 3:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010