Muslim Moms: Dolls?

Since we can't make images of people or animals unless they are incomplete, would a doll that is 1 piece, no legs (The dress is long like an abaya and closed at the bottom where the feet would come out) and no eyes, nose or mouth, just a blank "face" be ok? Would this be something you would consider purchasing for your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're kids can't play with real dollies? I don't understand the reasoning behind that. It's not like a little kid is going to be worshipping their doll. Anyway, can't they still use their imagination to pretend it a whloe doll and and so what's the difference there?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Id love more info behind this! Never knew Muslims couldnt play with dolls... I love learning about other cultures/religions...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well, I guess it would be how you look at things. IMO the majority of dolls aren't complete to begin with, none of them are anatomically correct. So wouldn't that fall in the the incomplete category? If not then I wouldn't see a reason why a doll with a long skirt and no legs would really be an issue. My kids both had something similar when they were babies... It was mostly a head and arms in a dress... Of course it was meant to be used as a cuddle more than a play doll, but it's not really that weird when you think about it, especially seeing how more Muslims wear long dresses anyways...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure what the correct way to answer this would be, as I'm not Muslim, but I just wanted to say that this is very interesting! I've heard of the no pictures thing, but I've never thought of no dolls! As a personal opinion, I tend to agree with Sabrina - no doll is complete, and I know my opinion may differ from the Muslim POV, but I personally feel that a doll like you're describing shouldn't be a problem. And, if you think about it, the reasons for a doll seem worth it, since children learn/cultivate their nurturing and all through taking care of their dolls. Best of luck finding the official Muslim answer, though! I'm interested to see what a Muslim actually has to say about this!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Just as a side note... I just did some searching and found a few "Islamic" toy companies or online shops... They all offer dolls and they each come with all the normal parts... So I would think it's something that needs to be up to you and how comfortable you are with that part of your beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I've been Muslim my whole life, and have never been told that we could not play with Dolls....So Im sorry but it just sounds very Odd to me....We are not to make images of God, or Prophets, nothing to do with girls and boys playing with dolls in that rule...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds similar to the Amish dolls with no facial features, only with Islamic dress. I'm not Muslim, but I'd buy a doll like that!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• "I'm not Muslim, but I'd buy a doll like that! "

As would I!!! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Naw
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2010