Repeat hemorrhage?

I asked a while ago if it was REQUIRED that I have an IV during labor. I asked my OB about it, and he said he doesn't feel it's necessary, it's just become so routine these days that they just do it automatically, but that I didn't have to have one. Then he remembered my last delivery where I had a massive hemorrhage postpartum. We both agree it was because of the pitocin (I was induced, avoiding it this time at all costs), and he said I can avoid the IV until it's time to deliver "just in case" But if my hemorrhage was because of the pitocin, does that mean i'm at risk for hemorrhage again? Even if we avoid pitocin altogether? I HATE IV's and want to avoid it at as much as possible, but am not sure of my risks of hemorrhage. Any ideas? Anyone hemorrhage once, and not again?

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hmmm good question. I would think that its just a guess that the pitocin was the cause, because I doubt no one could say for sure. Which is weird because I was given pitocin to STOP the bleeding when I had my son. Honeslty, I think you'd be safer to just get the IV. God forbid you start hemmorhaging again and you have no fluids. Plus if you were to need a blood transfusion, the line is already there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010