How can I prepare without driving myself crazy?

This coming Sunday, we have house guests arriving. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and will have my 16 yo cousin, my SIL and her hubby, and their 3 kids (2, 5, and 7). We are also currently in the process of packing our apartment up for a move at the end of July (boxes stacked up). Also, next Wednesday, my MIL will be arriving, and we are leaving the following day with my cousin, my MIL, and another child to go on a vacation to NY. What can I do to prepare myself for the insanity that is about to ensue without making myself go nuts? Hubby is out of town this weekend, so I can't really count on his help.

acollins09

Asked by acollins09 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• just continue life as you need to. if there's still more packing to be done, do it. in fact, i'd go ahead and pack the kitchen, buy all paper/plastic-ware, so you don't have an excuse to make huge messes cooking and cleaning. eat out as cheaply as possible, or keep the meals very simple.
    and just relax! enjoy the company, and breathe!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree with what OP said. Except instead of fast food, why don't you go ahead and prepare some freeze-able casseroles and other meals, put them in disposable aluminum casserole pans and freeze them. Then you can pack all dishes, and when dinnertime rolls around, pop a frozen meal in oven and use disposable plates and silverware. I know it's not economically or environmentally friendly, but desperate times call for desperate measures. No matter how much stuff has to be done, make sure to get a good amount of sleep. You'll be miserable and sluggish if you don't. Try to enjoy your time with the family. If they offer to help, accept the help. They'll be happy to take stress of you, and it will help you, too.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to say OH MY GOODNESS! I would be going crazy if I were you. I get so stressed over house guests. Is there anyway they can stay at a hotel? I just don't see how that can work w/o you losing your mind!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm very excited about everyone coming! My birthday is this coming Monday, so I'm happy I will get to celebrate it with so many family members. I'm trying not to stress too much, since they are family and they understand our situation. My SIL and her hubby and kids are actually staying here for their vacation, and my MIL doesn't know that she is going to get to see them, so it will be a fun surprise for her.
    acollins09

Comment by acollins09 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010