House training an adult (read: STUBBORN) dog.

We have a lovely 3 year old bull terrier. He is a bull to the max. Stubborn as all get out. We got him from a local rescue, and found out that he's pretty much never had a stable home until now. Even the rescue he was at had him outside pretty much 24/7, so he's never really had a chance to become house trained, and my carpets are suffering his wrath. It's gotten to the point where we HAVE to keep him outside. And I hate that. We will try to keep him inside, and let him out about every 1/2 to 1 hour, and he'll play there for 20ish minutes, come inside and immediately pee or poo on the carpet. It happens EVERY time. What can we do? Getting rid of him is NOT an option...he's a family member...just not a very polite one.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I have given this advice many times on CM, I don't know if anybody has tried it or how it worked for them but this worked for my dog in two days. Whenever he is inside he needs to be on a leash and with you. This benefits the dog by getting them use to being on a leash and also a dog on a leash right there with you will not get into trouble without you knowing about it. You will start to learn his signs that he needs to go out and you can be there for sure to catch him if he starts to go, this way you can rush him outside and have less accidents. At night or when he is not out with you he needs to be in a crate.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My 8 month old puppy is the same way. I'm eager to hear the answers!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That is really frustrating when the dog comes in to go to the bathroom. Dogs can learn. I've been a foster and one thing you can do is have a dog that is potty trained around to show the dog that doesn't get the idea what to do. You could maybe even foster a dog that they were sure was potty trained.

We have a stray poodle that was potty trained until I had to be away all day. After the first accident she had accidents all the time. We got a doggie door and after a couple of weeks she started going outside all the time. We have a 6 ft high wood fence dog run. An added benefit is our cat is now going outside and can't leap the fence. He is too lazy to try.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Gailll - We've been talking about fostering! We're getting ready to move (which I hope doesn't further increase his rate of in-house elimination) so I think after we're all settled, we'll see about becoming a foster!
    milfalicious08

Comment by milfalicious08 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• When we had to transition our dog into a mostly indoor dog we would kennel her at night and if she pottied anywhere inside. It took her a few weeks, but she figured it out. We are able to let her have free run of the basement now at night and know she won't make any messes down there, and she gets to come upstairs during the day now. She goes right to the door when she needs to go out. We had tried other training methods, and short of leaving her outside all the time, which wasn't acceptable between the weather being too cold or too hot and people thinking it's okay to try to drive off with someone else's dog, this was the one that was most effective.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would say to crate train. That's how we trained our boxer to go outside. He slept inside in his crate. Anytime he came in, he went straight to his crate. He wouldn't potty where he was laying down, so he always went outside to potty. He learned not to potty in the house because he didn't want to lose his house priveleges.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010